Reload this Page >

Disney-Orlando or Anaheim?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 01:13 AM
Rachel

Im planning to visit both L.A. and Miami in October and can't decide to head out to Disneyland in Anaheim or Disneyworld in Orlando. Has anyone been to both and can tell me which one is better?

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 01:19 AM
Rachel

Sorry, forgot to ask about prices. After you purchase your admission tickets, do you pay for anything once inside the parks (excluding merchandise, food). How much would I need to set aside for one day?

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:06 AM
Dawn Ct

There really is no comparison between Disney World in Florida and Disneyland in California. Disney World contains the Magic Kingdom (comparable to DL), Epcot Center, MGM Studios and Animal Kingdom. It also have three water parks, Pleasure Island and Downtown Disney. If I were planning on visiting for the first time, I would allow at least five days and you still won't see it all. They offer multi day passes, so the price will depend upon how many days you wish to visit.
d

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Rachael

My vote would be for Disney World, as it is made up of several theme parks (Majic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom, 3 water parks, etc. . .). If you get a park hopper pass you can visit more than one park in one day, otherwise your ticket would only be good for the one park per day.
After entering the park, the only things you will have to pay for are food and merchandise.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Sara

If you are only going to Disneyland (Magic Kingdom in WDW). I highly recommend Anaheim. It is cleaner, the people are friendlier, just nicer all around. However, if you have more time in Orlando, Walt Disney World is wonderful. Several theme parks as mentioned before as well as Magic Kingdom. It also takes much more time. Disneyland can be "done" in 2 days but Disney World is never "done". WDW is also more expensive since there are more parks. Admission gets you into almost everything, there might be some shows that might be extra - not sure. Some of the rides offer pictures that you can buy. Take lots of $ - food is expensive or take a little pack with some snacks and remember water in both places!

Both are great. Enjoy!

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 01:22 PM
joe

Disneyland is the real thing,the others are copies. October is a great time to visit Disneyland. Nice weather and short lines.Since you'll be here during the Halloween season try Knott's Berry Farm's scary special event. I go every year and it scares the hell out of me.Go on a week night to avoid the crowds and try the chicken dinner.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Rachel

Thanks for all the responses however I think it was pretty much 50/50. Has anyone else got anything to add to make my decision a little easier?

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Hel

Go for Orlando!

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 10:03 AM
beth

Orlando for certain! Anaheim has 1/5th of the attractions that Orlando does.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 10:23 AM
patg

It's not a question of which is better, but of which suits your goals.

Disneyland is compact and charming. Going at an off-season time makes for a delightful day. It is also less than an hour from downtown LA and can easily be fit into your traveling schedule.

Disney World is huge. You could spend two weeks there and not see it all. You will want to read up on it and pick and choose your touring days, with the idea that it is a lot of walking no matter what.

I've been to both parks many times, and I have to say that I prefer Disneyland. For an adult going for the first time, it is enough of a theme park experience. If you have kids between 8 and 14 or you are a theme-park lover, then taking the extra days to travel to Orlando and see what the big deal is about is worthwhile.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 10:28 AM
yvonne

I loved them both but if had to choose, probably Orlando-more to see and do.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Vic

It depends on how much time you have, how much you're willing to drive and who you're with.

Orlando is not much of a tourist town. Before it was struck by Disney lightning, it was a small nondescript town. Basically, it still is with a whole lot of amusement parks.

If you're going to drive to San Diego, with Sea World and the worlds best zoo, the greater LA area begins to match Orlando even in amusement parks. You also have the attractions of a mature metropolitan area with many non amusement park attractions.

One other thing to consider is that in normal times DWD is full most of the year. Disneyland depends much more on locals, so that when school is in session you have the place to yourself. Many times when my daughter was little, she would play hookie and we could go through five of the most popular rides each hour. It makes a big difference when you don't have to stand in long line. October in normal times is a fairly popular month for WDW.

And I say it depends on who you're with, because for most adults a little Disneyland goes a long way. If you have children, you can spend countless days in various amusement parks.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 01:35 PM
kath

Orlando!

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Joy in Virginia

You said you are going to Miami. Florida is BIG state, Miami is very far from Orlando, do you mind driving or would you fly? Check the distance, that might be deciding factor for you. I have never been to CA, but have been to WDW numerous times and would go again, just going for one day I think I would do Magic Kingdom, otherwise would do multi-day ticket and parkhop. Also would do Pleasure Island in the evening and go to my favorite The Adventurer's Club, for the show (be warned, the audience becomes part of the show) and the decor.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 05:23 PM
TC

Orlando - hands down.