NYC dinner for 10 people

Old Apr 9th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC dinner for 10 people

Heres my dilemma. There are 10 of us who will be in NYC on Mothers day weekend. We would all like to go out to dinner Saturday night and sit together. Called a few restaurants and they would only take reservations for table of no more then 8. We want to all sit together. Food is important, but as long as its not fast food or a large chain like Olive Garden (we can eat that here)we don't care so much. A famous or very popular NYC restaurant would not dissappoint us, however. So if some fodorite has any advice to offer, you have my thanks in advance.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 04:25 AM

How about a price range and type(s) of food?
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 04:50 AM

Did you try Ruby Foos?
What about Sambuca on West 72nd Street --
it's like the famous Carmines (Italian) but without the fuss (or wait).
There's the Brazilian Grill Plataforma(Chiarascoro -sp?) that'll fill you up beyond your wildest dreams and they cater to large groups.

Old Apr 10th, 2004, 06:40 AM

I'm curious to know which restaurants refused you. Unless they're quite small & can't accomodate a table of 10, I'm surprised. Budget, type of food, ambiance & location are necessary for a reco. No point in suggesting the 21 Club (famous, good food, popular) if you're looking for a rowdy Carmine type experience. Chinese is always good for a large crowd. Shun Lee Palace (east 55th) & Shun Lee West are great.

Be aware that on a table that large they may include a mandatory 15-20% service charge (tip).
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 08:51 AM

Go to Carmine's uptown. I don't know what syd1 means by fuss or wait. With a reservation, you will be seated within a few minutes.
Carmine's is a fun, loud NYC place, very inexpensive, large family style, a great place if everyone gets along with each other and knows how to have fun.
The food is certainly not high end,but it is good, and there are plenty of wines under $40 bottle
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Fuss: A little over the top in terms of noise, portion size and overall experience. Not to say it's not fun or the food isn't good--it is--you just may not hear the guy next to you!

Wait: It's always a mob scene. Don't know if that matters to you or not. Even with reservations I've waited quite some time.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Like others, I find that really surprising as I gone out with large groups and have NEVER been told no. Perhaps you misunderstood them as they may only take reservations for groups above 8 with a credit card deposit. That wouldn't be that unusual and is neccessary as blocking out space for 10 who don't show, can kill the restaurants profit for the night.

10 people at a business dinner wouldn't be unusual and business diners are the midweek life-saver for many place. In fact I arranged one in October for 12 people at Fresco by Scotto. While a little cramped, they certainly didn't have an issue with a group of 12.

If price isn't an issue, you might want to look at Il Buco on Bond Street. They have a large table in the back room that we used for a group of 18 from an old beach house.

Old Apr 10th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Thanks for all the suggestions. The price range is about $50.00 per person and we are not into wine or liquor, maybe a glass of wine with dinner. We don't want chinese or barbeque, not a steakhouse either. We would like seafood,italian or new american. The restaurant that would not take a reservation for more then 8 is Esca. I haven't tried any other Batali or Bastinich restaurant. I just assumed that was company policy. Maybe I'm wrong and they do take large groups, just not that place.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 12:00 PM

For seafood, The Sea Grill at Rock. Center (restaurantassociates.com), or Manhatttan Ocean Club (58th st) should both be able to accomodate you. For Italian the options are endless. Try Felidia (e 58th) (lidiasitaly.com) For American have you tried Union Square Cafe?