NYC: Chicago vs Hairspray

Old May 8th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

NYC: Chicago vs Hairspray

Ok, I asked before if I had to choose between Hairspray or Mamma Mia, which should we see. Now I am asking again about Chicago vs Hairspray! Thanks!
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:10 AM

These are both excellent shows!

Not knowing your group, I'm am going to make the broadest possible generalization and say that 30+ yr olds will like Chicago more and under 30 will like Hairspary more.
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:58 AM

I'd be hard-pressed to choose. You can't go wrong with either.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:10 AM

I saw them both and enjoyed them both. "Chicago" is more jazzy and "Hairspray" is more rock n' roll. If you are looking for happy, splashy type Broadway musicals, I would say go with Hairspray. They are both great shows.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:56 AM

I've seen them both and you can't go wrong with either. They are very different types of shows, and it depends on your tastes. My husband and I loved Chicago ... we thought Hairspray was just OK. That's more a reflection of our tastes though than the quality of the show.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:04 AM

Forgive me if you already know this...but if you're not familiar with the stage version of Chicago, please be aware that it is very different from the recent movie. The design is very minimalist (more of a "black box" type of show), whereas the movie is more literal, with lots of costumes and scenery.

Both shows are great, but provide very different theatrical experiences. Hopefully this will help you judge what your group will enjoy!
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:29 AM
TC

Saw them both -- I liked Hairspray best. JMHO Above post is spot on -- Chicago is very different than the movie and a bit disappointing if your expectations are in that vein.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Well Bardo, I'm afraid I am in the over 30 age group, I hate to admit!
I really appreciate the insight into how different Chicago the play is from the movie, which I loved!
From the sound of it, we couldn't go wrong and it's a toss up!
Thanks!
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Neopolitan

I agree they are both winners. I'd make the decision by asking yourself this, "do we want to see big and splashy? Do we want to see major costumes and scenery in addition to great singing, dancing, and acting?" If the answer to either of these is yes then do Hairspray. If neither of these make much difference to you, toss a coin.