NYC Cheap Eats/Shopping/Photography Hot Spots

Mar 6th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

NYC Cheap Eats/Shopping/Photography Hot Spots

I'm heading to NYC tomorrow afternoon through the weekend on my spring break. I'm normally not too concerned with sticking to a strict food/shopping budget since I plan a trip like this once a year. However, since this is a last minute vacation, I'm looking for inexpensive food/shopping options near the following locations.

I'll be traveling into Grand Central every morning. I usually don't have a problem grabbing coffee and a bagel, unless you can suggest a decent greasy spoon type breakfast close to the station for <$10.

Lunch for <$10 too, I'll be near the museum mile, Broadway/Times Sq/Village. Any great noodle/Chinese/ethnic/street vendors I should seek out? I'm going to be solo for most of the days, so perhaps an inexpensive restaurant that has a bar I can eat at.

Dinners will probably be with family so no help needed there.

Shopping, looking for inexpensive options: jeans/t-shirt guy. Thrift stores in the village or anything I'd be unlikely to find in a suburban mall or in my hometown (Boston.)How about a great place for shoes, anything under $50 is my budget.

I'll also be using some time to take some pictures, with a manual (film) camera. Any interesting spots that I can get some great angles or views of the buildings without paying a steep admission price. Won't be heading up the Empire State Bldg.

Jeff
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:17 AM

For the thrift shopping you will be better off in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Beacon's Closet is one big name there. Look out for Daisy Mae's midtown food cart...some of the best street food (BBQ, chili, etc). The owner worked at Le Cirque at one point, I believe. In East Village, two places for Japanese ramen are Minca and Momofuko..you can check them out on www. menupages.com.
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:57 AM

Inside Grand Central are a bunch of places. Junior's is famous for their cheesecake. Perhaps a bit heavy for breakfast, but you should try it.

Here's a list of coffee shops near GC. http://menupages.com/restaurants.asp...dResturantIds=

For lunch, a lot of Indian restaurants have all you can eat buffets for $10-12. Pizza places are always affordable. Ollie's Noodles is a chain of noodle shops that are good. Look for locations on menupages.com

Shopping-Old Navy is popular for inexpensive jeans/t shirts. Barney's Co-Op is for more designer stuff (there may be sales on). Syms and Daffy's are discount stores for clothes and accessories. Have a look on NY Magazine's guide for discount shopping,eating etc.
nymetro.com/cheap

For photos, you should go over to Brooklyn (by subway) and walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge for good views of the skyline. Go to Central Park for some nice views. Go into the Time Warner building at Columbus Circle. (there's a Whole Foods market there good for take away or eat there). There are some good views from inside.
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Rachel Ray, (the foodie), just had this as her picks on Oprah, the other day, as the best street vendors for good food, good price.
Not sure where these locations relate to where you'll be, but, here they are:

Mud Truck (for coffee)
4th Ave. and Astor Pl.

Coffee

Dosa Man (Indian food)
4th Ave. and Sullivan St.

Indian food

Hallo Berlin (I think it was brat wursts)
5th Ave. and 54th St.

Wurst

Daisy May BBQ
11th Ave. and 46th St.

BBQ

Chinese noodle cart
Chinatown at Canal and Centre

We're heading to NYC end of April, so, will probably try to check these places, too!
Mar 7th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Will post my food experiences when I return next week.