Search

NYC Cheap eats

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Cheap eats

I am going to NYC on Aug. 3rd to see my new granddaughter. I really cannot afford this trip, but I really want to see the baby so, I got a very cheap ticket through Priceline and I'll be sleeping on the floor of my son's co-op. I found lots of free things to see and do in NYC, but the problem is food. Can you tell me where the best food is at a really low price? Also, maybe you can recommend inexpensive grocery stores since I may be able to do some cooking as well. He lives on the Upper East side on 73rd Street. You guys are the best!!
-Paula
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Congrats on your granddaughter! I don't have any specifics for you, but I know when I am there & on a budget, I tend to eat at the random delis, etc. Might seem like a given, but bagels, slices of pizza, salad bars, hot dogs (if you dare!), etc, etc can go a long way! Another thought depending on how much you are concerned with the budget is you could always pack a soft travel cooler with you on the flight & take some prepared things from home (casseroles, lunch meats, fruits, snacks, drinks, etc.) can save you lots - assuming you aren't traveling from out of the country. Have fun!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:48 AM

Here you go! Cheap Eats from NewYorkMetro.com

Enjoy!

http://newyorkmetro.com/restaurants/...s/04/index.htm
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 11:01 AM

Congrats Paula! I'm sure your son and daughter-in-law won't let you go hungry. There are lots of markets in the east 70's (although few are cheap vs the rest of the US) and I'm sure they can guide you to the nearest places. I suggest you think about what dishes the kids like that you can make. I'm sure they would appreciate you doing some cooking. Here are a few of my favorite inexpensive in the east 70's

J.G. Melon on 3rd & 74th is a pub style neighborhood place for good burgers. EJ's luncheonette on 3rd & 73rd. Luke's bar & Grill on 3rd & 79th.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Since I used to live in that neighborhood, let me add a few ideas to Mclaurie's:

Zucchero e Pomodori -- 2nd Ave at 75th. Our favorite "Tuesday night" Italian place. Inexpensive, but good.

Sultan -- next door to Zucchero. A Middle Eastern place -- also inexpensive and delicious.

3 Stars Diner -- 1st Ave at 76th. Quick breakfast, lunch or whatever.

La Tour -- 3rd Ave at 76th or so. They have a great all you can eat mussels and frites special for something like $15. They also have bargain prices on wine. We like the Spanish Crianza for something like $15 a bottle.

There are plenty of supermarkets in the area. There are also several gourmet markets, although the prepared food will certainly be expensive -- they include Citarella (3rd at 75th), Eli's (3rd at 80), Grace's (3rd at 71?).
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:01 PM

Ray's Pizza and Zabar's
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:39 PM

l'Ecole on lower Broadway is the restaurant for the French Culinary Institute - students, supervised by "rotating" Michelin starred FR chefs prepare the meals which were $26. for four courses last time we were there.
M
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:49 PM

I feel "home" in NYC when I've visited the deli/grocery on the side street next to my favorite hotel. I order an egg salad sandwich (it is massive) and stock up on chips, drinks, etc. It is still my favorite meal in NYC. I don't get to get up there enough so I'd rather eat in my room and get to a show, etc. than sit in a restaurant most of the time. I do enjoy Sam's before a Broadway show.

But, YOU are going to be enjoying your new grandbaby! My second favorite meal in NYC was when my friend's baby was small (Upper West Side) and they ordered take-out/delivery. I thought I had enjoyed good Thai food until then. I still think about that Thai meal in their apartment!

Enjoy your new blessing. Don't stress about food.

PS - my favorite shopping experience? Try to shop for Thanksgiving dinner at the A&P on 8th. I had never experienced "road rage" in a grocery store before! (Them, not me!)
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:45 AM

Vivolo is an Italian rest. on 74th betw Park & Lex in a townhouse that has a $21.95 pre-theater (ie early bird) dinner.

Cafe Greco (2nd ave &71-72) is another good place for a prix fixe lunch or dinner and they deliver!
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 01:22 PM

Topping for momof5