NYC-Best place to park outside Manhattan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'd like to park outside of the city and ride by bus or subway. May stay outside or inside city depending on $ are on budget, but not hostel type...any good hints?
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 04:19 AM

One thing you might check is the New Jersey Path train website. Their map shows the stations in places like Jersey City, Hoboken, etc, and they also list parking facilities nearby each station. They may list the parking fees and hours as well. Then you can walk to the path station and take the train into Manhattan.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 04:22 AM

Where are you coming from?
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Driving from Indiana
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 06:40 AM

Metropark in Iselin, NJ is a main station on a New Jersey Transit train line. It features a large parking garage with reasonable daily rates.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 08:48 AM

This is a good option to look into. Most of the train stations are small, have outdoor lots that are completely filled with commuter cars by about 7:30 am - and are not really safe to leave cars in for several overnights - since htere is no staff. Some also require residents stickers to use.

You need a large garage with staff so that you car will still be there - and all in one piece - when you return.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 10:41 AM

I've used this lot many times when renting from a nearby National. The above posters are right - it is a huge lot and there's lots of activity and it's next to many corporate parks. Some of the users of this garage are so familiar with the place they nearly ran me down, not too cautious on the turnabouts, probably just eager to get home.

Just don't take the trains during rush hour - they are jam packed. It is not fun. Also, it always takes longer then what the schedule says due to the limited number of tracks into and out of Penn Station.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the advice. I think I will us Metropark
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 05:15 AM

Another option you can check is the ferry terminal called Port Imperial in Weehawken, NJ owned by nywaterway.com They charge $10/day for parking and you can get to/from Manhattan by their ferry service. It's not cheap but it's convenient and they have free bus service on the NYC side to take you wherever you're going.

When are you coming and what sort of hotel budget do you have? There are very good hotel prices in Manhattan for the summer. Have a look on travelzoo.com
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 05:37 AM

You can check the Court Square Municipal Parking Garage located in Long Island City (Queens) - about a 5 minute subway ride from midtown. I have parked there for the day many times - the subway is on the corner. They charge for 12 hours: $10.50 - not sure how they charge for longer term parking - but check it out. The garage is accessible by car over the 59 Street bridge and is a couple of minutes from the bridge. It is located in the Long Island City courthouse square.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 06:41 PM

If you stay anywhere on the train lines, you should be fine. I rent a vacation home in Maplewood, NJ and people drive and park and then just take the train in and out of the city like the rest of the commuters in town ;-) all the time.

I would think you could do the same in Westchester, Connecticut or Long Island as well if you found a rental or hotel that was within walking distance to transport into. the City.

Don't know the Metropark lot rates, but you could also maybe look into the long-term parking lots at the airport and then go stay in Manhattan?
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 10:28 PM

As you are coming from Indiana, you will most likely be coming into New Jersey on Interstate 78 or 80 from Pennsylvania. The Metropark station mentioned above is in Edison, New Jersey which is a fair bit south of both 78 and 80. Therefore, I would suggest you try either park long term at Newark Airport, or if you are on Interstate 80, try to park or stay in the Morristown area in New Jersey off Route 80. If you are using Interstate 78, then you could try to park or stay in the Summit/Short Hills/Milburn or Maplewood area, although I think finding daily parking there is going to be more of an issue.

You could easily park long-term at Newark Liberty Airport and then go into Manhattan via the Air Train. You could even stay at one of the many hotels along the highway here and go into Manhattan each day, although I would caution that there is nothing in the area to do or see and parts of it are not safe. In addition, the trip in each day and out each night probably would take more time than you want to spend.

For information on parking in Morristown, see http://www.townofmorristown.org/mpa.html. Along Interstate 80 in the Morristown/Parsippinay area are many chain hotels, try a Google search. Morristown itself has a nice downtown area and restaurants. Note that trains from Morristown will require a change in Newark to get to Manhattan.

For parking in Summit/Short Hills and the Maplewood area, you may have more of an issue as those towns have less parking and more of it is reserved for residents, but see something like http://www.ci.summit.nj.us/departments/parking.cfm. Summit is a very nice town, on the expensive side, but does have a direct train to Manhattan in less than half an hour. (You could also probably leave the car at the Short Hills Mall where there is free parking, and then take either New Jersey Transit Bus #70 to the Summit or Short Hills train station or a taxi, the ride to either would not be far. The Mall parking would be fairly secure, IMO.) Google for hotels in the area, there is a Hyatt in Short Hills at the Mall. These types of hotels may have shuttle service to the local train station.

A hotel in Jersey City or Weehawken, which may provide secured parking, and from which you can walk to the PATH train or ferry to Manhattan, may be the best solution. Try the Courtyard in Jersey City, which is located apparently next door to the Pavonia-Newport PATH station, which would be very convenient, (I have not seen this hotel, it is somewhat new.) There is a Sheraton all-suite hotel in Weehawken. The hotel is located in front of the New York Waterway ferry pier, you could take the ferry over each day. Take a look at starwood.com. There is a Hyatt in Jersey City, and you can get to NYC by PATH (station is basically right at the hotel door) or the ferry. It gets good reccos on this site. Take a look at hyatt.com. I believe some other hotels have opened in the waterfront area recently as well.

If you end up in Metropark, there is daily parking in their covered garage which costs about $5 a day. Note that there is not much in the Edison area to see or do (other than Edison labs) and some towns in that part of NJ are neither salubrious nor safe. You may end up staying at a strip mall motel. There are frequent trains to NYC from Metorpark, check Amtrak schedules at Amtrak.com and the NJtransit.com schedules. Trains require no changes. Amtrak trains are slightly faster but more expensive.

You could also take an Amtrak train from Indianapolis right into mid-town Manhattan. Trip appears to take about 21 hours via the shortest route.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 05:20 AM

Cicerone's suggestions in NJ are good if you decide to stay in NJ with easy NYC access.

After the OP has driven all the way from Indiana, the Metropark station doesn't seem that much out of the way. In suggesting Metropark, but I assumed the OP would leave the car at Metropark, take the train to Manhattan, and stay in a hotel there. The reasonabe parking rates and the single roundtrip on the train would leave more money to spend on accomodations in the city.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 06:30 PM

If you go to the website yelp.com and click on New York they have info re parking IN the city.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Cicerone and others = thanks for all this info. I came here to look for this information. I am looking into doing the same thing (but from MI) I can drive in Chicago but don't even want to think about doing it in NY.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 11:59 AM

When I want to take a cheap quick trip into the city (I live about 100 miles north), I take the Taconic Parkway to Westchester County, then scoot over to I87 near Route 100. I then get off near Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. There is on street parking near the subway station (1 train) at 242nd Street. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I may snag free parking if my timing is good, since they streetsweepers are done by 10:30 am.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 12:33 PM

We will be coming to NYC from the north, and would like to find reasonable and secure parking for 4 nights, and take the train into Manhattan and stay there.
Does Van Cortlandt Park, or maybe White Plains, or some other area have such parking: i.e. secure, reasonable, and close to subway/train?
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Parking on the street anywhere in NYC for several nights at a time is a problem due to the alternate side of the street city cleaning. In most places this means you must move your care very other day from one side to another so the original side can be cleaned by a streetsweeper. If you block the streetsweeper and are caught it can cost you in excess of $1000 to get your car back ($150 parking ticket, tow fee and impound fee).

Parking in the outer boroughs can work for one day as long as you follow the posted signs and is generally OK on Sunday - but during the week you can;t just leave a car for days. Suggest you park in a train station parking lot - preferably one that's manned. (Leaving a car overnight in an open station lot for several nights can result in returning to no car - or one that's been trashed.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM

hikerboy, you are going to have about the same problem parking in northern NYC suburbs that the OP has in New Jersey: parking for commuter trains in suburban towns are primarily reserved for commuters who are residents of the town. Not sure which way you are coming in from the “north” (Boston? Albany?) I would first try the Park N Ride lots along any major highway you will be on (i.e. Interstate 95 in southeast Connecticut and Westchester County or NY Thruway and I87 if coming from upstate NY). You might also try paid parking lots in larger towns like Stamford or Poughkeepsie. The problem you may have is that on a weekday, these lots will be full of commuters by the time you get there (unless you arrive in the evening after the rush hour, which may be a good option). If you arrive on a weekend, you may have better luck as well.

For Connecticut Park and Ride locations see http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?Q=259406&a=1390
I found a listing for Rockland county at http://www.nyrides.com/parknride/rockland.html, I am sure that there are others if you take time to search.

You might consider taking Amtrak from wherever you will be in the “north” to NYC rather than driving part of the way. This may be cheaper and easier than the drive.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the advice, Cicerone.
This has caused us to "rethink" the parking issue.

We are now thinking of driving to Weehawken, NJ and parking in the ferry lot, then taking the ferry to Manhattan, where we are staying midtown west, at the Best Western.

Is there any problem leaving a car in the Weehawken Ferry parking lot for 4 nights? And does anyone know what the per diem parking rate is there? The rates on the web site seem to be directed at commuters, and they post "early bird" and monthly rates, but not a 24-hr. rate. We will arrive on a Sunday, depart Thursday AM.

We will probably spend our time visiting the Metropolitan Museum, see a show, and explore the mid-town area.

It will be our first visit, so we are concentrating our activities in the areas near the hotel, and are looking forward to trying the many ethnic restaurants along and near 9th Ave, and exploring as much as we can handle!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -