NYC - Best kept secrets

Jul 5th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

NYC - Best kept secrets

Taking 15 and 10 yr old tomorrow to NYC and are looking for unique suggestions. We go twice a year and have done all museums and normal tourist spots. Last summer took them to best candy store (lower east side), best cupcake shop (great spot off of Broadway) so am looking for any other "Best" places from shopping to eating to any type of adventure or whatever you think is the best in NYC. 15 yr. old son is into art, music, theatre and anything to do with Asian culture since he visited Japan a few months ago. 10 yr. old daughter loves sports and shopping.

Thanks for your help!
Jul 5th, 2009, 05:55 AM

Favorite small street-Washington Mews
Favorite remanants of old Jewish New York-Yonnah Schimmel knishes, Gus's/Pickle Guys, Kossar's bialy's, Russ & Daughters for lox and other store made foods
Best remnants of old Italian New York-Joe's Dairy, Raffetto's pasta, Di Paolo's Fine Foods, and Veniero's.
Jul 5th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Have you looked into the backstage tour at Lincoln Center?

The Cloisters?

The Asia Society?

Have you looked at the Shark speedboat trip?

What about a tour of the new Yankee Stadium (may be too late - don;t know)
Jul 5th, 2009, 04:45 PM

There is a little Japanese enclave of stores for snacks and lunch. By the big library (the one with lions in front) on 41st between Mad & 5th. I like the pastries, green tea and red bean ice cream and bubble ice tea. There's also a bookstore with Manga which kids like. Most people in these stores are Japanese, so it's authentic.
Jul 5th, 2009, 07:35 PM

Favorite small street-Washington Mews

That was my mother's and remains my favorite small street, too. Charming.
Jul 6th, 2009, 12:51 AM

FIT Free museum noon-8 p.m. presenting exhibiting Isabel
Toledo's fashion incl. Mrs. Obama's inauguration outfit.

Free 1-hour Plaza Hotel tour Tues. & Sats. at 3 p.m.
Jul 6th, 2009, 01:49 AM

Pomme Fritte in the village will be a HUGE hit with the kids. Head downtown to St. Marks Place and walk to 2nd Ave and turn right it's about a block down on your right.

The kids might enjoy all the stores on 32nd St between 5th and Broadway, little Korea, with a mixture of Japanese thrown in. There's a large grocery store in the middle of the block.

Shopping for a 10yr old, Herald Square, there's Macy's and Daffys, The Gap and Conway (she will love for tees and jeans and you will love for the prices on everything).

I have to say the Cloisters too for a wonderful day outing, get off the A train at 191st St, and walk up through Ft. Tryon Park to the Cloisters at the back of the park. Some of the original art there, they have seen in text books. (Unicorn tapestries). Also the views up there of the Hudson are breathtaking.

Afterwards head back out of the park and stop for lunch at the Unicorn Cafe, or if you like GREAT Indian food, walk down to 187th St to Kismat. One of the best meals I have ever had, was there, steamed salmon, great breads and dips too.
Jul 8th, 2009, 04:32 AM

One of my favorite little known attractions in the city is the Theodore Roosevelt birthplace on 20th Street. Tours are given by National Park rangers and at $3/pp it's one of the city's more affordable sites.

http://www.nps.gov/thrb

Afterward, go across the street for lunch or dinner at La Pizza Fresca (where you'll spend a lot more than $3, but it's worth it).

http://www.lapizzafrescaristorante.com/home.html