NYC - Artisanal vs. Roberto Passon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For our upcoming trip to NYC, we have reservations at Lupa. However, reviews that I have seen online are not all favorable.(salty food and small portions)

We were considering changing to either Artisanal or Roberto Passon, simply because I see lots of favorable reviews here and on other websites. We like good food and expect to pay around 150 or so for the two of us, including drinks. I hate noisy restaurants with small portions.
We like Italian and French food, as well.
What are your opinions?
On this same trip, we also have reservations at Rosa Mexicano and Churrascaria Plataform.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 10:58 AM

I can only speak re Roberto Passon, which was wonderful! We returned the very next day because the food was so very good. I think our dinners (two courses each, wine, and dessert to share) were under $150, which was a bargain for the quality, and quantity, of food.

Sorry - I have no comment as to any other places you mentioned. This was our first trip to NYC.

Anna
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 12:18 PM

As a NYer, for $150, those wouldn't be my choices. What neighborhood will you be staying in? Do you need to stay near your hotel or how far are you willing to travel? When is your visit scheduled? That info will help you get good recommendations here.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 03:06 PM

I agree with CentralParkGirl. I have never been a fan of Artisanal and two separate friends went there recently and were diappointed.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 04:14 PM

Agreed - with a budget of $150 for a couple you have a huge range of excellent choices as long as you're careful about the wine.

As for noisy - can you define that? I know what REALLY noisy means - but most (except VERY upscale) places in NYC have tables quite close together and so some degree of noise. Can think of very few places with small portions.

What neighborhood? Romantic? Trendy? Traditional?
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 05:51 PM

I've been to both. We spent about 50 per person at Roberto Passon, but I don't drink alcohol. The food is good, the service is fine. Nothing to blow your socks off.

My brother likes Artisinal and I thought it fine, but quite expensive. The bill for three of us was closer to $250. I think DH and my brother each had a glass of champagne.

These are kind of two different experiences. Artisinal was more of a scene, and RP is a bit more cozy and casual.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 03:11 AM
mdn

I wouldn't change the Lupa reservation. The pastas there and pretty much everything else is in a class of its own.
And in that category of restaurants, it's hard to beat!
You can have a memorable meal at Lupa for $60 each.

As for Artisanal- I like brunch there more than dinner. Their fondues are nice and the beignets are wonderful!!
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 06:18 AM

Roberto Passon is one of my very favorite "budget" restaurants -- incredible value and really good food. But it too can be very noisy when crowded -- all those wood floors and brick walls. And I've always liked Artisinal as well -- a much more upscale place in atmosphere, and quite different, but not any better to me.

But I wouldn't trade a reservation at Lupa for either of them. Lupa is a star in my book. If you're looking for huge portions of mediocre pasta -- go to Becco or even Olive Garden. But if you want the best bucatini Amatriciana you've ever put in your mouth -- head to Lupa. Yes, the fantastic cured meats are salty -- they are supposed to be. Yes, it is crowded and noisy. So if you don't want to sacrifice quiet and big portions for some really extraordinary food, then you will be wise to skip Lupa. I wouldn't!!
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Well said NeoPatrick...we will stick with Lupa!!
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 09:43 AM

If Lupa happens to have pasta with cauliflower sauce on the menu -- get it -- it's out of this world.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 10:52 AM

I hope you won't be offended, but I'd just add that I think your 2 other reservations are maybe not ideal and may be more expensive than you expect. The Lincoln Center location of Rosa Mexicano is very attractive if you sit upstairs, but dinner entrees are pricey and not worth it imo. Churrascaria Plataform is about quantity, not quality and unless you're ravenous and don't eat for days, it's not very good value imo. You will easily spend $150 at Churrascaria Plataform for dinner with drinks, tax and tip.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM

I am one of those who does not think highly of Lupa but I have not had the two dishes mentioned by those who do.

If you wiah to venture away from UWS and midtown a whole world of restaurants will open up.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 12:48 PM
HKP

Can only speak to Artisanal. I'm a cheese fanatic and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. If you are indifferent about cheese, I'd give it a pass.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM

I loved Lupa, but I agree that it's not a universal feeling - my assistant, his wife and his mother went at my recommendation, and they hated it!
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 02:16 PM

We have cheese many times a week. For expensive cheese and simply excellent cheese we go to Murray's on Bleecker or Grand Central. And for the cheapest cheese in town, East Village Cheese, where they only accept cash and in recent years the satff ahs become ncier.

These are not restaurants, but if you are passing by you can satisfy your cheese craving.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 02:58 PM

Recently there were many relatives in NYC. A self-proclaimed foodie "found" Roberto Passon and enjoyed the meal. The next night they went to Supper, also Italian, on our recommendation on East 2nd Street off Avenue A, and said there was no comparison. Supper only takes cash and gets crowded very quickly on the weekends and doesn't take reservations. They are owned by the same people as Frank's.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 07:03 PM

If you must choose between Roberto Passon & Artisanal, ARTISANAL is the best choice.

I don't know any New Yorkers who go to RP anymore -- it's quality slipped when it became a tourist destination.

Artisanal is still a very popular place for fondue, for New Yorkers both famous and not famous. A few weeks ago my wife & I sat next to Sarah Jessica Parker and 3 of her girlfriends at Artisanal.

And the reviews are correct -- in Manhattan for Italian cuisine, you can do much better than Lupa.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 05:10 AM

I'm a New Yorker, and I still eat at Roberto Passon, but only before the theater. I also like Artisinal, but I must say that neither restaurant is going to give the poster the experience she is looking for. Both are very noisy, and RP is particualarly small and crowded (Artisinal is marginallyl better for that).

I wouldn't throw over a reservation at Lupa for either, but for $150, I'd probably go to Viceversa. My feelings about that restaurant are well known. I ate there again on Friday night, and it was (as usual) amazing.
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

OK...we are keeping the Lupa reservation. We have spent some time in Italy and we like great food.

Plataforma was a compromise since hubby wanted a good steak and I am not particulary crazy about steakhouses. We have "22 Bowen" in Newport and I love it. We do however, have open minds and we will listen to what folks have to say.We tried Keen's once and it was just OK....

We don't mind traveling around the city so keep the ideas coming!!
Thanks to all for your input!
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM

You can do better for steak than Plataforma imo. My favorite is Peter Luger's in Brooklyn, but for Manhattan, consider Strip House, Del Frisco or BLT Prime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -