NYC April-Mom and 2 daughters

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! I'm planning a trip with my mom and sister middle of April for 4 nights. Trying to find things to do. We have all been to New York before so some of the things like Empire State Building/MET aren't necessarily must do's...I'm looking for fun interesting things. Would definitely like to go to a Broadway play but not sure which one. Also, wouldn't rule out Off Broadway...any suggestions would be GREAT!!
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 05:31 PM

There is a plethora of threads on here about mother-daughter trips to New York City...sounds like a new guidebook idea for Fodor's! You could probably just click on my screename and get most of them as I have posted on nearly all of them for bookmarking purposes.

Ages? Budget concerns? Interests? Or things you are definitely NOT interested in would also be good to know.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Don't fathers do anything with their sons any more?

My cousin got into trouble with his wife when his four year old son asked what they were going to do that day and he said, "Go see naked women and play poker."
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 10:54 PM

We went to see the NYC Ballet at the Lincoln Centre and loved it.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 08:15 AM

Some things to think about...the High Line (not sure of spelling; old railroad that now has gardens, benches, walkway; meat packing district); Bronx Zoo; google Central Park and look for tours (park ranger); The Boathouse is a restaurant in the park; Ellis Island; Governors Island (ferry use to be free). TKTS booths for 1/2 price theater tickets -- same day tickets. Wicked; Priscilla. Million Dollar Quartet; Stomp.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 09:02 AM

Ellen Stardust Diner is suppose to be cool. Table top singing waiters and waitresses (on broadway and 51st street)
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 10:56 AM

There are SO many things to see and do in NY its really hard to know where to start...
The Frick Museum, the Whitney, MOMA, a walking tour of lower Manhattan, Greenwich Village or Harlem, the Tenement Museum, Ellis Island, Chelsea Market and the High Line, the Guggenheim, the Morgan Library, the Botanical Garden in the Bronx, the Cloisters, top of the Rock, tour of NBC studios, Museum of Natural History, the Planetarium, the Bronx Zoo, walking the Brooklyn bridge, Brooklyn art museum

For performances you can do on or off Broadway, big production musicals, dramatic plays, comedies, the New York Philharmonic, the ballet, the Metropolitan opera, jazz clubs.

I don't think I've even dented the possibilities. Does that help?
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 10:59 AM

One more thing...these are the last 2 threads called "Broadway Banter". its a great start for figuring out some plays and musicals you might like, plenty of discussion of current offerings

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-a-new-one.cfm
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ummer-2011.cfm
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 05:24 PM

The Greenwich Viliage foodsofny.com tour is quite good. Top of the Rock is much better than ESB if you haven't been.

For theater, War Horse at Lincoln Center is unique. Anything Goes is a great production.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 06:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
If any of you enjoy fashion, you should visit the museum at FIT in Chelsea. It offers a nice overview of the great designers. DD and I really enjoyed it.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 11:53 PM

Has anyone mentioned crossing on foot the Brooklyn Bridge,>? I did it with our grandchildren and love it. \\\
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 05:08 AM

Thanks for all this information. I will be there in May with my twins (19 yrs old).

A friend of mine used BigAppleGreeter is a nice way to see different areas of NYC. Complimentary service.

FoodsofNY.com - tour
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 09:22 AM

If you want a tour with a Big Apple Greeter do ask far in advance - they get many more requests than there are greeters (since they are volunteers).

Ellen's Stardust is the epitome of anti-cool. The food is only so-so diner fare - but the performing staff are a hoot.
Old Feb 10th, 2012, 10:43 PM

nytraveler, so is that a yay or nay for Ellen's? I wouldn't mind taking my daughter to a cheesy NY tourist experience if it'll give us a laugh.
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 04:42 AM

We like Ellen's - but just go for a milkshake or dessert - the food is pretty horrific but the entertainment is a hoot (perfect word to describe) - my daughter is now almost 15 and we have gone a few times on trips and always get a great laugh out of it. I have a picture of one of the guys singing RIGHT to her and it was so stinkin' funny
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone!!!