NYC - a few quick questions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friend and I are taking a real quick one night / two day trip to NYC the week before Christmas. Have never been there during the holidays and I'm so excited!

Can someone recommend a good place to have pizza (and wine) near Rockefeller Center? We are going to make fools of ourselves ice skating in the evening (I know it will be crowded) and after what will be a long day just want some good pizza (or a good plate of spaghetti) within walking distance of the rink. Something very casual please.

The next day we will check out of our hotel but leave our bags and head to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in the morning. Looking for suggestions for a casual late lunch before we have to pick up our bags and head to the airport.

We are staying at the Wyndham Garden Hotel on 36th near 8th, so suggestions for that area are welcomed. We don't have to eat near Rockefeller Center or The Met.

Last question......our flight leaves from JFK at 7:30 p.m. Considering how busy it must be during the holidays, what time would you recommend getting a taxi to the airport? I'm guessing 4:30 - 5:00 p.m. (Thursday night)?

Thank you!
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Arguably, the closest good pizza spot of this type would be John's in Times Square (260 W. 44th St.).
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 01:52 PM

If you want real casual there's a very good "coffee shop" on Madison Avenue between 78th and 79th....Viand. It's just a few blocks from the Met. They are known for their turkey sandwiches..(fresh roasted every day.... a mixture of dark and white meat is the secret - They also serve wine if you're an imbiber. A lot more expensive.. and charming.. with killer desserts is the Cafe Sabarsky in the Neue Gallery at 86th and Fifth Ave.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 01:56 PM

If you wanted to spend more time at the Met, you can eat there. I don't remember what I had, probably a salad. Seems like they had some good choices and wine.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 02:59 PM

Serafina at 55th & broadway great for pizza/pasta; a good euro vibe, too. near rock ctr but far enough away to not be crazy. RC WILL be a madhouse. make sure you catch the choreographed snowflakes at saks 5th avenue... across from RC. they "perform" every 15 minutes, I think. Really pretty.
boathouse in central park is a great setting for lunch after the met...a little pricey for what it is, but you go for the setting. not too many restaurants near the met unless you walk east over to madison, lexington or third, where there are quite a few.
for a flight at 7:30, 5:00 is fine to leave the city.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 03:10 PM

For a flight from JFK -- I would leave well before 5 especially with all of the Xmas/rush hour traffic.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for the great suggestions.

SueNYC, we will plan on leaving no later then 4:30 for the airport. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 04:53 PM

What time does the airline require you to check in - and what airline is it? Some airlines have esp bad security lines - I've seen them for AA that take more than an hour to get through. Five pm could be too late to head to the airport (can easily take more than an hour then - and if that takes 1:15 and security takes 45 minutes you'll be in big trouble.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

nytraveler - JetBlue. I'll check out their website for more information. I need to remind myself that I'm flying out of New York, not Buffalo. Thank you for the heads up.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 06:39 PM

If you can check in online and print your boarding pass from your hotel before you check out, that can save you time in the airport.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Centralparkgirl. I would definitely do that, but I think we'll leave for JFK by 4:00 p.m. just to be safe.

I only have two days / one night to enjoy my getaway and want to extend my time in the city as much as possible. But I think it's wise to leave a little earlier than I hoped.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 05:53 AM

Definitely leave no later than 4pm. Driving to JFK during rush hour is no picnic.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 06:07 AM

No one has suggested this yet, so I'll do so.

Consider the E subway to the Airtrain as a much cheaper and much less risky way to JFK. If you don't have a lot of bags, it works out pretty well, and is about $7 per person.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 06:17 AM

While John's pizza on west 44th is famous (and in a converted church so interesting interior) it's not that close to Rock Center (just off Times Square) and you'll likely wait forever for a table. It's not a relaxing place to sit and schmooze. I'd head to a nice wine bar like Cello or Sofia in the east 50's and then walk down Fifth ave. to see the Xmas windows at Lord & Taylor (Fifth & 39-40th). before heading west to your hotel.

Your hotel and the Met Museum are not really convenient to each other. If you want to use the train to JFK (which at that hour is not a bad idea) your hotel is near Penn station so that works. Leave yourselves plenty of time to get from the Met back to the hotel though. What day of the week are you leaving?

If you plan on using a taxi to JFK, I'd take your bags with you to the Met (they'll check small bags at coat check) and order a car service like dial7.com to pick you up at a specified time in front of the museum or if you decide to eat and then leave, they can pick you up at the restaurant. Near the Met, there's a Le Pain Quotidien on Madison Ave. & 84-85 st. This is a small chain of Belgian restaurants dotted around the city with good food.

If you want to grab a bite near the hotel Tracks inside Penn station where you'd get the LIRR train to Jamaica and then the AirTrain is good. Do you also know there's lots of food choices in the new Jet Blue terminal at JFK?

PS don't miss the Xmas windows at Bergdorf Goodman (Fith & 59th st.) and Barney's (Madison & 61 st) which are always fun.

PPS do you know the skating rink in Central Park at Wollman's rink is much nicer/bigger than at Rockefeller Center? There's also one at Bryant Park behind the library that's free (but skate rental isn't). There's a Xmas market at Bryant Park too.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions, mclaurie.

I'm thinking of changing my hotel reservations to The Kimberly Hotel on 50th (a little closer the Met, I guess). And near Grand Central. Would I be able to take a train from GC to the AirTrain? And where does the Airtrain take me? (Sorry, I've not yet done the subway or trains in NY).

We fully plan on walking around and seeing the storefronts, etc. before ice skating. Yes, I know the rink is very small. It's just one of those silly things I've always wanted to do since I was a little girl. But I will give Wollman's a thought.

I'm aware of the Christmas market, but don't know much about it. I assume it runs during the day time during the week?

Thanks, again, for your help. You too, gb944!!!
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 09:11 AM

The AirTrain is a train connecting train station with JFK Airport. There are a few different ways to connect with the AirTrain. If you are staying on the west side near Penn Station, then you can take the Long Island Railroad to the Jamaica (Queens) train station. For the east side of Manhattan, connect to the E train at 53rd St and take it to the Jamaica (Queens) train station. If you are staying on the Upper West Side or somewhere downtown, take the A train to Howard Beach to connect to the AirTrain.

The Kimberly Hotel is a few blocks from the E train on 53rd St and Lexington Ave.

Grand Central does not connect to the AirTrain.

When you see the enormous lines and ridiculous crowds at the Rockefeller rink, you may find the Wollman Rink more appealing.

The Christmas Markets at Bryant Park, Grand Central, and Union Square have day and night hours.Here's an article from last year:

http://nymag.com/guides/holidays/holidayshopping/
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, ellenem! And I will definitely try go get to one of the Christmas markets.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:38 AM

I wrote "Grand Central does not connect to the AirTrain."

To be specific, the commuter railroads from Grand Central do not connect. The 6 train from Grand Central connects to the E train at 53rd St (just one stop later).
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM

About the Met holding your luggage for you at coat check, I don't think that they do that. They will check a backpack, an umbrella, and an overcoat, but they will not check anything large enough to be considered luggage.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 11:00 AM

From the Met's website:

"Please note that luggage—including carry-on bags and oversize backpacks—is not allowed into the Museum and cannot be checked in at the Museum's coat check facilities. See Visitor Tips for more information."

http://www.metmuseum.org/visit/general_information/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -