NYC 4th of July weekend

Search

NYC 4th of July weekend

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC 4th of July weekend

Hi all, I scored some cheap airfare into NYC arriving Saturday afternoon and leaving Monday afternoon on the 4th of July weekend. This is a real last minute thing for me (I'm pretty anal about planning). I've already booked tix to see Avenue Q on Sunday night, and I feel really good about getting the Rhiga Royal at $223 per night plus tax for a triple (my daughter is going with us). First I'd like to thank everybody who takes the time to respond to this board, I'm one who mostly likes to read others messages and there is a lot to learn from this board. My question is will stores be open on Sunday/Monday, and if not, can you direct me to some websites that would list other activities (concerts/flee markets/ fairs) going on this weekend. Also for the first night in NY we're looking for a restaurant, something moderate to inexpensive (everything in NY is expensive by our Midwest standards) Doesn't have to be close to the hotel (exploring is part of the fun). My DW was thinking maybe Little Italy/SoHo/the Village. Something that says New York. Thanks
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:08 PM

you might have to just call some of the stores in advance as I think it varies whether they are open or not. Citisearch.com, Timeout magazine and New York magazine have decent listings of activities around the city.

what kind of food do you like?
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:40 AM

Most large stores will be open on July 4, in fact, there will be sales going on.

Little neighborhood restaurant in Greenwich Village: El Charro, 4 Charles Street, between Greenwich Ave and 7th Avenue.
Spanish-style food. The place is small, it fills up, and it is friendly. The Sangria is great.
212 242 9547.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:33 AM

A lot of stores on 5th Ave/Madison Ave will be closed on Sunday, but stores in other parts of the city will be open.

Another restaurant rec is Gavroche on 14th street just west of 7th Avenue. Delightful french with a beautiful garden in the back.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys, looks like the shopping won't be a total bust. Also thanks for the rest rec's, these smaller places mostly unknown to tourists is what I'm looking for.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:01 AM

And there will be street fairs galore, Friday, Sat and Sun. You might google for locations. Those are always fun and you can find some fun food there as well.

I would think most of the stores will be open for the weekend, so you should be able to do lots of shopping, and all the stores are having summer sales now, and lots of Fall clothing have already been put out so you can get a Fall preview.

You might also google for concerts in Central Park and will be fun things to see at Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall as well.

For dinner, you might head downtown to Canal St and shop a bit and head to LIttle Italy and just walk up and find a place that looks like fun. The street is closed to traffic so all the restaurants have cafe seating outside on the sidewalk. YOu will know you are there from the sign on the street saying "Welcome to Little Italy".

Have a great time while you are here.