Search

Nyack, NY

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nyack, NY

I am a photographer shooting a wedding in Nyack in August and we will have one day to explore the area (with a car). We are willing to drive if there are some places that would be interesting. We are both in our 20's and obviously love beautiful places to photograph, but are mostly looking for some tips on things to do and see in the area. Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM
J62

Nyack is in the lower Hudson Valley. From there by car you can easily explore lots of point nearby and north. I'm assuming you don't plan to go into NYC, which is actually quite easy from where you will be.

a) art - try Storm King Art center (outdoor sculpture "garden" where garden is a 1000 acre setting), or Dia Beacon (large scale modern art)

b) History: Historic mansions, including Rockefeller Estate just across the river, FDR and Vanderbilt Mansions in Hyde Park - about 60min north of Nyack., or West Point

c) Nature - Kayaking in Cold Spring, Hiking in Bear Mountain Park (very close to Nyack), (or lots of other hiking options)

d) Sports: baseball game at the new Yankee Stadium

lots of other options, depending on your intest. If any of these sound like what you're looking for let us know.
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:00 PM

J62 has given you a good start on a list. I'd put Storm King at the top of the list. It's a photographer's paradise. Dia: Beacon is great, but, the taking pictures is not allowed. (As a photograper, that rule pains me especially since the art there cries out for a camera!) The gardens at Kykuit (the Rockefeller estate) are marvelous, but again, be forewarned that the taking of pictures in the mansion is not allowed. However, the gardens alone are enough to warrant a major photo opportunity.
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:11 PM

If you are in Nyack and the town before it on the Hudson, Piermont, you can probably browse the shops and find a flea market or two .. have lunch at the Freelance Cafe .. All of these places can be seen and gotten to by way of River Road which is off of 9W
We came This close to buying a house ( way over 100 years old) in Grandview on the Hudson, the little town on the river before Nyack. So we were there a Lot !
The area is chock full of old , very old, Victorian mansions along the river, painted wonderful colors from the days they had a lot of River traffic .. Nyack has an area with wonderful Victorians also, where Helen Hayes used to live .. the town center has some nice cafes and bookshops.. we met and ended up having lunch with Don Ameche there once .. a long time ago ... ( movie star for those in their 20s who don't remember him
I also enjoyed wandering around downtown Nyack... along the river there are parks where you can go too..
Not as far as some places mentioned is Bear Mountain where you can enjoy wandering ..
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Sounds great. We will be in NYC for 5 days after the wedding and will do all we can in the city then.
I'm interested in the Storm Art King Center, I'll look into that. We really like a variety of things so I'm not looking for anything particular. Basically just what are the best things to do in the area. I love history and love to explore culture and things that a town or city is known for or proud of.
Old May 30th, 2009, 04:55 PM

t's very easy to get from Nyack to Storm King. Just get on Route 9W in Nyack and drive north for about 25-30 miles. Storm King is right off 9W.
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:30 PM

Thank you, Scarlett, for the information on Nyack. I live in NYC and my friend and I were looking for a "field trip" so to say. Is Piermont north or south of Nyack? Thanks!
PS I also own a place in BA so I love reading your reports on that area.
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:43 AM

I ride to Nyack from NY all the time. Piermont is just south of Nyack. The area is very scenic and fun to ride around in. I love to buy a muffin or smoothie at the cafe in Nyack on the main road where all the cyclists go (on a nice day, you'll see dozens of bikes), then ride up north about 5 minutes to the park entrance, where there is a sliver of a beach and enjoy the tranquility.
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:34 AM
J62

This year is the 400th anniversary of Henry Hudson's sailing up the river, and hence there are a lot of activities up and down the entire river. These include flotillas with replicas of Hudson's, Columbus' and other ships, festivals, concerts, and many other events. Be sure to check back here as your travel date gets closer and we can point you to the appropriate info.