NY Weather for Saturday

Dec 4th, 2003, 10:51 AM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,334
NY Weather for Saturday

Planning on being in NYC for theatre and dinner on Saturday...what is the weather forcast and should I forget about coming and loose $$$ (tickets to play not refunable)
ParrotMom is offline  
Dec 4th, 2003, 10:58 AM
  #2  
GoTravel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I don't understand, are you driving in? Can you take the train? Is it an overnight trip?

Millions of New Yorkers brave inclement weather all the time and manage to pull off dinner and a show.

Is someone with you that is infirm? I don't think I'm understanding the question.

 
Dec 4th, 2003, 11:00 AM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,449
You may want to go to someplace like Yahoo's weather site or the weatherchannel.com as that'll be much more informative.

Ryan is offline  
Dec 4th, 2003, 11:05 AM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,303
Hey, ParrotMom, coming from Boston, you shouldn't let a little snow stop you!
If you're driving, you may have some problems, based on the forecast. Check the Weather Channel website for specifics.
HowardR is offline  
Dec 4th, 2003, 11:07 AM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 758
According to the noaa.gov website, snow is likely and it's going to be a high of 40, low of 21 with windy with winds up to 35mph.
missjanna is offline  
Dec 4th, 2003, 11:15 AM
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,334
We are supposedly taking a chartered bus (probably no seat belts) from the Route 495 area (just heard 6" of snow) and the thoughts of being on the highway during that period is giving me second thoughts... is the $$$ more important or my peace of mind...Yes, we are not infirmed, but seniors... Parrot Pop is thinking of loosing the $$$ rather than taking a chance.
ParrotMom is offline  
Dec 4th, 2003, 11:25 AM
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 758
Parrotmom, I would say, just go. I remember a while back where they predicted a snowstorm and nothing happened!!
missjanna is offline  
Dec 4th, 2003, 11:28 AM
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 508
I am in a similar situation this weekend and if you are leaving Saturday,just wait to see how this weather unfolds and make your decision then. I don't think the forcast is really complete yet for this snowfall.
doc_ is offline  
Dec 4th, 2003, 11:30 AM
  #9  
GoTravel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
parrotmom, for six inches of snow, I'd go. They do a great job of keeping the interstates clean and those tour buses are heavy. If the tour company is going, I'd go.

Now if we were talking 12 inches, I would stop and think about it.
 
Dec 4th, 2003, 11:33 AM
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 654
I'm in the same boat, but I'm coming in anyway. I'm not happy about the weather, but I'm not about to lose $200 in ballet tickets. maybe we won't be walking from Lincoln Center to the tree, but there are subways. ParrotMom, I say see the play
LoriNY is offline  
Dec 4th, 2003, 11:42 AM
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,334
Decision has been made......we live next to Route 495 and those of you who know MA know we are in a "snowbelt"...and have decided not to go...best part is that we will get a refund on our tickets...they hadn't been processed yet...We were to leave at 5:30a.m. which didn't give us too much time to make a decision.. Oh yes...we have flakes outside right now..lol Will get the snow blower ready. thanks for letting me bounce it off of my Fodorites...
ParrotMom is offline  
Dec 4th, 2003, 12:22 PM
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,303
Knowing that you'll get a full refund, you've made the right decision.
HowardR is offline  
Dec 4th, 2003, 06:54 PM
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 125
The latest forecast is for 6-10 inches of snow in The City.
Treck is offline  
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:10 AM
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 133
Thanks to everyone who helped else with another post about our weekend in NY. Looks like we're going to have to ditch all the plans because of this weather. Just the thought of having to dig out a car where we leave it near the train station is beginning to play on our minds. Would have loved to have seen the opera.
Travelegs is offline  
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:54 AM
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,334
Last night the snow amounts were upgraded...this morning it seem they have downgraded the amounts...What is this with the weather forcasters and all the equipment on tv they brag about..lol that's okay...better safe than sorry...besides the Halloween Scarecrow and cornstalks have to come down..lol
ParrotMom is offline  
Dec 5th, 2003, 05:26 AM
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,303
ParrotMom, around here (in New York, they've upgraded the amount expected--6-12 inches, with the bulk coming on Saturday. Don't regret your decision to cancel!
HowardR is offline  
Dec 5th, 2003, 06:09 AM
  #17  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,334
It will be fun watching the Dolpins playing in the snow against the Patriots... guess they will have the famous mini plow on hand...lol..No,I don't regret cancelling..Parrot Pop just went out to get gas for the snowblower
ParrotMom is offline  
Dec 5th, 2003, 06:54 AM
  #18  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,528
ParrotMom - I'm watching the weather too. Got tickets for the Irish Tenors at the Lowell Auditorium Sat night. Was really looking forward to it. DH says we'll go no matter what - he's driving so its his call (sort of). We're up on the northern end of 495 so its only a hald hour drive. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

I think you made the right decision about not going. Chances are you would be stuck on the bus for an extra couple of hours putting dinner and the theater at risk. It would get pretty darn uncomfortable after awhile. And then you have to make your way home in a mess too. The theater isn't going anywhere. You can always get down to NY.
bennnie is offline  
Dec 5th, 2003, 07:08 AM
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 34,738
Little snow flakes are drifting down. Have a warm safe weekend!
Scarlett is offline  
Dec 5th, 2003, 07:29 AM
  #20  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,242
We are leaving for St. John, USVI from Newark on Saturday
No way we are going to cancel this trip!
Pat2003 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Original Poster
Forum
Replies
Last Post
WorldGallery
United States
19
Feb 7th, 2013 04:44 PM
logos999
United States
24
Feb 20th, 2010 02:17 PM
dramamama
United States
9
Nov 23rd, 2006 03:47 AM
Tulips
United States
8
Mar 31st, 2005 11:41 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:05 AM.