NY Waterway Ferry

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY Waterway Ferry

I booked the Sheraton Suites in Weehawken. We plan to see a show on Sunday. Due to the predictions of snow, will this ferry still run? Is there another way to get into Manhattan from this location?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 07:08 AM

I thought the ferry had stopped due to ice in the river...

Better call them
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 07:17 AM

There are "jitneys" or privately run shuttles that go between Weehawken and Manhattan. They are typically small 18 passenger buses that charge about $2 each way and pick up at spots along the major streets in Weehawken, Edgewater, Guttenberg, West New York etc. They run 24 hours per day but I'm not sure of the frequency. NYC pickup and dropoff is usually on 40th Street on one side or the other of 8th Ave, right by PA Bus Terminal.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 07:20 AM

Owen - would you have the web urls for any of the jitneys?
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:34 AM

NY Waterway IS running now that the ice in the hudson has melted. www.nywaterway.com

The Sheraton is considered "Lincoln Harbor" and only runs a ferry on weekdays; however, the Sheraton should/does have a shuttle that will take you to the "main" ferry station (Port Imperial) which is about 3/4 mile up the road.

The shuttle busses that Owen is refering to i don't believe stop in front of the Sheraton... they generally travel along a stretch of road called Blvd East (or JFK Blvd East) and go directly into the Lincoln Tunnel. These shuttle travel from the north and enter the tunnel before the Sheraton, which is just south of the tunnel. I don't believe they have a website because they are mostly a collection of "individual van owners" that (as i call it) "troll" along the route picking up passengers along the way... nothing wrong with the ride, i just don't think it passes by your hotel.

If you want to take a bus, go to www.njtransit.com, click on Bus Schedules and look at the Adobe Acrobat file for the bus numbers 156, 158, 159 (all one file) which do pass by the Sheraton's door.

Feel free to ask any add'l questions, and enjoy the show.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:02 AM

The only options on weekends are the hotel shuttle bus to the Weehauken ferry, which runs all day and until about 1 a.m.; or the 158 bus that stops across from the hotel and goes right through the Tunnel from there.

The ferry always runs, & did even when there was ice on the river. (Ice is melted.)
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 09:22 AM

If the ferry doesn't run, the jitneys are very good. Visiting with a friend I've taken them a number of times and I don't recall ever waiting more than 10 minutes.
If traffic isn't bad you're in midtown in 10 to 15 minutes.