NY POST food critic lists NYC's worst tourist trap restaurants and street carts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2019, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it or leave it..I agree with all his picks, except Luger's; never eaten at Rao's. And there are quite a few he has no space to mention.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/05/these-...s-peter-luger/
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 01:47 PM

Tried getting lunch reservations at Luger’s last trip, but they were booked solid. We were going for the cheeseburgers made from the trimmings. Well maybe not getting in was a good thing.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 08:19 AM

It is worth a HUGE guffaw to read Pete Wells' "review" of Peter luger's. It is a literary exercise in how many words and ways you can say a place is (now) AWFUL and a total ripoff to those that go to NYC thinking it is what it once was.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

I don't know. I had eaten at Luger's in what I assume was its heyday, in the 80s, and went back about three years ago. I liked it, the waiters were friendly, and while the creamed spinach and the tomatoes were mundane, the lamb chops, whicih no one ever talks about, were fantastic (three of us had those as appetizers!)
and the steak was excellent. One of us ordered a bottle of wine, which I could have done without, but the price for the three of us was not horrible....more or less what we expected. I'm no steak expert but I thought the meats were great, and we were there at an odd time, around 3pm, so it was not a "scene"..then had good walk across the bridge...I would go again, no matter what Wells said., but would not rush back..would go if someone I knew wanted to go..or some circumstance like that... Supposedly it makes a big difference if you order steak for two or three, which is better than ordering one steak per person. (I read that a few times, no idea how true it is)
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 04:01 AM

As I said I was most amused by the number of ways a negative description (but assume, an honest description) of bad service and amenities could be made--creative writing with a message. And interestingly, they STILL don't take credit cards.
But in the readers' replies, some agreed with EKScrtunchy for various reasons--but many agreed with Wells. (this doesn't count against your Times articles to be read)
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/r...-reaction.html
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 08:49 PM

I haven’t eaten at any of those places—the “iconic” restaurants are usually something relatives go for, and I haven’t been to NYC with them in years—but I walked past the Plaza tea. I love tea, I adored Eloise as a kid, but even looking at that sad, sad tea tells you it’s an overpriced tourist trap in the worst way.