Search

NY in March

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Lu

NY in March

We are planning to go to New York the end of March, and are looking for the best "should not miss while you are in NYC" things to do.
Hoping to take in a play, museums, letterman, good food and fun night life. How's the weather that time of year,,, and what would you suggest to keep us busy for 4 days.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 05:32 AM
Statia

Lu:

Do a text search on this board for New York or NYC and you will find a ton of good information.

Good luck.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 06:23 AM
Alan

Hi, Lu!
A good start, I found, is to contact (a month or so before you leave) the Big Apple Greeters. They will send someone to meet you at your hotel on the morning of your first full day, and take you around the city for half a day... you can tell them your interests and the special things you want to see, or do as we did and just leave it to the Greeter to choose where to take you. Ours taught us how to use the subway to our advantage, showed us some of the older buildings in Downtown, and then walked us across the Brooklyn Bridge. At the ensd of the day, the city was like home to us, and we had a wonderful four days -- but none better than our day with our Greeter. Everything, by the way, is free... even the subway tickets for the day! There is a website where you can register:
I think it's www.bigapplegreeter.org.

Have a wonderful time in this greatest of US cities; wish I was there with you!

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 08:02 AM
Sue

Lu

Don't wait that long to contact big apple greeters. We contacted them a month ahead, and demand is so high that they couldn't help us. I'd register now, or as soon as your dates are firm.

There's masses to do - we just went for our first visit, also 4 days. Keep your eye on the board between now and departure, and post detailed questions as you get ideas that need clarification. We found that the more detailed the question, the better the answers we got.

I also took to cutting and pasting useful info into a Word doc to print and take with me, saved loads of time trawling back through the board.

We found the best guidebook was the Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness New York.

Hope you have as much fun as we did.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 08:45 AM
maureen

The weather in March can be extremely bitter cold and snow or very mild in the 60s. A few years ago it snowed during the St. Patrick's Day Parade. It has been known to snow at Easter and Passover. The parade will take place on Mon., Mar. 17th.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 10:05 PM
Tara

Family and friends say the Lion King is great. Letterman is very hard to get in to see- have you checked on the specifics of that yet? Weather has been rainy and not too terribly cold the two Marches I have visited(I live in AL and my sister in NYC- the weather is actually more similar than not. One of the things I enjoyed the most was the museum at Ellis Island. It was a very nice historical perspective on New York-very well-done too. The Metropolitan Museum was too too much to do in an afternoon or a day. A quicker museum with some great pieces was MOMA. Do a tour of Radio City Music Hall and see a show there if you can. Try some Thai food if you are game for it. Refer to Zagats survey for what to expect from NYC restaurants in terms of price, dress, etc. Personally, Tavern on the Green is overrated. Sardis has good crabcakes and desserts and is walking distance from the theaters. The charicatures are neat there. Oh yeah there is a place- I think its called the Brooklyn Diner - low key and regular ole' food- and yummy desserts. Go there when you get tired of exotic or unusual food. If you have kids or grandchildren, go to FAO Schwarz (toy store). What a selection and fun too. The most important thing is to wear comfortable walking shoes. You'll walk a million miles. I can't make any suggestions for night life- I have been too pooped by day's end to live it up. Have a great time!

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 03:19 AM
Linda

What you want to see and do depends on your tastes, budget, energy level, etc.
There are museums, shows, shopping, tourist sites, walking tours, etc. Yes, the weather may be bitter cold, or in the 60's. My birthday is at the end of March, and some years it's spring, and in my 48 years I've experienced 3 b-day blizzards.