Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NY Hotels-Edison/Paramount/President Hotel etc;q

Sep 17th, 1999, 06:32 AM
Melanie

I'm thinking of staying at the Edison Hotel during my visit to NY end of October..anyone stay there before?? I've heard the rooms are small but, do they have a view? Room Service? Safe>??? So far it's the most inexpensive that I've found..

What about the Paramount or Best Western President? than

Sep 17th, 1999, 08:12 AM
lisa

I think the Edison is one of the best deals in New York -- its rates are very reasonable for the location. If you're planning on seeing theatre while you're there it's incredibly convenient, and that's one reason we go back time and time again. Yes, the rooms are small, but so are most hotel rooms in New York (I've paid a lot more for much fancier digs and still had a smaller room than at the Edison). I wouldn't say the view from the Edison is anything to write home about. Can't remember if there's room service but there's a restaurant/coffee shop downstairs (room service just isn't a big deal to me in New York, since you have the whole city at your feet and can get practically any kind of food you want delivered to your room from a restaurant or deli anyway). Don't remember whether they have safes or not; we never used one when we were there. I think the hotel was renovated fairly recently. Bottom line: if you're looking for a really special hotel in New York, the Edison ain't it. If you're looking for a great location and a reasonable price, it's pretty hard to beat.
I was at the Paramount shortly after it opened and just remember it was very trendy, modern design, prices definitely higher than the Edison and very small rooms. Am told lately that it's looking worn but I'm sure it's still more posh than the Edison. For me, however, I found the sleek design had a cold feeling rather than a comfortable one, and I would take the Edison any day of the week over the Paramount, especially with the rate differential.
Don't know about the BW President.

Sep 17th, 1999, 09:32 AM
Audrey

We have stayed here many times; not only is it in a great location, but also the staff is warm and friendly, and the newly renovated building is clean. There is a coffee shop downstairs; I believe there is no room service. It's a deal!

Sep 17th, 1999, 12:19 PM
Debbie

Melanie - We've stayed at the BW President twice - once before and once after they renovated - what a world of difference it made. The newly renovated rooms are quite modern, although somewhat small. The lobby area was also renovated-it too is somewhat small and can get very crowded, but the staff is friendly and helpful. Their elevators are small-and run slowly. On the up side-the hotel is in a great location-in the heart of the theatre district-and we always felt safe when walking around late at night. Another plus is that they offered discounted parking rates (1/2 off) with a parking garage about a block away from the hotel-maybe an inconvenience in getting your luggage back/forth, but was worth it for the savings. There's also a restaurant/coffee shop in the lobby.

We found good rates thru the Sunday edition of the NY Times-although both of our stays were in August - maybe that had something to do with it. It would be worth checking into though.

Sep 17th, 1999, 04:51 PM
judy

I seem to be the lone dissenter here, but I didn't feel safe at all in the Edison, and I was with my husband. Now this was probably 5 or 6 years ago, and maybe it wasn't renovated at that time, but our hall was extremely dark, there was an open window at the end of the hall (no screen), and the rooms were shabby.(I don't really mind shabby rooms if I feel safe.)In fact, we asked for and received a room a little closer to the elevator because the hall was so scary. However, from these other replies, I think it must be better now. I've made several trips to NYC since then, but I've never been tempted to stay there again. Just my opinion...

Sep 19th, 1999, 07:08 AM
Melanie

Everyone was so nice in providing information about the Edison. Thanks to everyone who did.

The halls _do_ sound a bit scary..LOL