Search

ny hotel - for AM flight next day

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:51 PM
emt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ny hotel - for AM flight next day

How feasible do you think it would be to arrive in NYC around 10:00AM, spend the day, then fly out (to London) next day 8:30 AM. In other words, is it worth getting a midtown hotel, do a bit of shopping, eating, etc.., then go back to airport next day? Just want some ideas if this is a do-able option. (Don't really want to stay near airport)

Thanks.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Sure, its worth it.
People do it all the time.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 06:37 PM
emt
Original Poster

Thanks! Do you have any hotel recommendations - given our desire to be at airport in the early AM - Price isn't really a huge deal - I know NY hotels are pretty high right now.

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 06:41 PM

If you're leaving early in the morning, anywhere you stay is fine. What kind of shopping do you want to do? I'd pick a hotel/location based on what you want to do in NYC. If your flight is at 8:30 am, you need to be at the airport at 6:30. You would need to leave the city at 5:45.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:00 PM
emt
Original Poster

I was thinking of staying midtown - I've stayed at the Rockefeller before, and liked it - but that's been many years ago. It's gotten some bad reviews lately.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:01 PM
emt
Original Poster

Duh. I meant the ROOSEVELT HOTEL. That's what I get for posting and not proofreading!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:58 AM

Well there's actually a new hotel called the Rockefeller Center that's about 5 blocks north of the Roosevelt. http://www.rockefellercenterhotel.com/

A few other new hotels in the area are the Residence Inn http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/NYCRI

The Mela http://www.hotelmela.com/index2.html

Are you leaving from JFK or Newark for London? You haven't said what kind of shopping you want to do. I ask b/c if you want Macy's, you could stay near there (west 30's) and be near the train connections to both airports. Not my favorite area, but it might be convenient. The other idea is to stay near Grand Central and use the Express Airport bus. Their first bus is at 5:10am for JFK.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 04:04 AM

I should have mentioned, for a one night stay, you could easily bid on Priceline for a 4 * hotel in midtown east or midtown west and get something like the Hyatt (at Grand Central in midtown east) or the NY Hilton (in midtown west), either of which would be pretty convenient. People regularly win these (and some others) for $110-150/night. There have also been a few wins of the Parker Meridien at $160 (midtown north/central Park). The wins tend to come closer to the stay as hotels release rooms to PL late when unsold.

If you'd rather pick a hotel, always check quikbook.com against the hotel's own site to see which has better prices.

One strategy is to book something cancellable now and maybe try bidding on Priceline closer to your trip. Don't lose patience with PL. Sometimes you won't get a room until days before your stay.