NY City .. First day what to do?

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY City .. First day what to do?

I just read the ideas given for arrival in NYC late afternoon, but we will arrive at 8 AM on Saturday, August 4. We (couple with 16 year old son) plan to taxi to the Sheraton Hotel and Towers, but know our room is not available until late afternoon. Once we check in our luggage for HOLD we will go??? Our only specific plan so far is for Monday AM to take the Circle Tour to Ellis/Liberty Islands. So many choices where to begin? We will be in NYCity from Satuday AM until mid-day Wednesday. We are thinking first to the Times Square Visitor Center to purchase tickets for a Gray Line Bus tour.Or should we head for the Natural History Museum? Or should we walk the Brooklyn Bridge? Are there less crowded "tourist" places that we should wait until the weekend has passed or not? Any ideas greatly appreciated as I am circling at this minute. Not into shopping other than a walk for window views. Thanks for ideas!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Personally, I think the bus tours are terrific. You could really drive yourself crazy trying to navigate from place to place, worry about train and bus schedules, or finding a cab. The tour buses are very practical. Do one for Sat and Sun, and then use Mon and Tues to backtrack and walk around the areas that you liked the most.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:43 AM

I would start by doing Top of the Rock - to get an overview of much of the city. Then - head up through Central Park (much more life on the weekends) and to the Natural History Museum. (Eat lunch either at the Boathouse in the Park or at one of the many places on Columbus Avenue near the Museum.)

You're going to be there long enough that I don;t think a bus tour makes a lot of sense - you're better off walking and talking the subway to see the things you really eant - not just the outside of a lot of buildings.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:16 AM

nytraveler beat me to it.

In the warm monthes, upon a morning arrival in NY, we always take a long walk in Central Park and wind up at the Boathouse for lunch.
http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.com
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:24 AM

If it's raining, I'd suggest heading to the AMNH (natural history museum). It's always less crowded earlier in the day. Start at the top with the dinosaurs and work your way down via the areas that interest you. The cafeteria in the basement is surprisingly good, with a salad bar, hot stations, pizza and burgers, etc. Then if the weather has cleared up, you can head out into Central Park and stroll back south to your hotel. (Your hotel is quite close to the SW corner of the park.)
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:52 AM
GoTravel

I agree with Bugswife.

While I love Top Of The Rock, I think you'd enjoy it more if you know what you are looking at.

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Additionally, you will probably get some coupons or something for discounted admission prices from the tour operators. Also, check in with your concierge as soon as you get there and see what discounts he/she has.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM

Another fun idea might be to head downtown to the South St. Seaport and pick up Broadway tickets at the TKTS booth for Sat night, and walk around to see the seaport, Wall St. maybe walk up to see Trinity Church, World Trade Center site.

From there you might walk up to Chinatown and Little Italy for lunch and pastery. There are some great Dim Sum spots in Chinatown and fun cafes in Little Italy.

Have a great time!!!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your HELP! I have printed out your replies and have asked my son and husband to read them and then help me decide on our Day 1 plan!

I think I have decided to buy a City Pass (on-line), as it will save us time amd cash.
Anyone other hints are welcome! I know we will enjoy our NYCity trip. It certainly will not be relaxing like our last SUMMER's 2 weeks on Hilton Head Island, as we will be on the GO!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM

Definitely check the websites for some of NYC's outdoor summer events. They're a great way to relax AND take in the city AND feel like a local! There's such a wide range of stuff - free movies, the NY Philharmonic, world music, current pop music for example - that you should be able to find something all three of you will enjoy. Bring a picnic or some takeout dinner and make an evening of it.

I know there's a website somewhere that aggregates all the info, but for starters here are:
- River to River Festival (lower
Manhattan) www.rivertoriver.org
- NY Summerstage (Central Park)
www.summerstage.org
- Bryant Park film festival & concerts
(midtown: 42nd St/6th Ave)
www.bryantpark.org/calendar
- Celebrate Brooklyn (Prospect Park)
www.celebratebrooklyn.org/celebrate
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 03:56 PM

If this is your first ever visit, buy a ticket for one of the hop-on, hop-off double decker buses. Ride for a while and take in the sights. Hop off when you see something you are interested in, and then hop back on later. Make sure you understand the map/ arrow/ route so you know what direction the next bus will be taking you. When tired, hop on the bus and ride around and rest for a while - and see the sights. Remember to duck for the traffic lights
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 05:40 PM

You could walk all the way to the Metropolitan Museum of Art which is open till 9:00 pm on Saturdays. You can stop at Columbus Circle and enjoy the fountains. Stop in at the Time Warner mall. Walk through Central Park. Take a rowboat out at the boathouse. Enjoy the buskers in the park. See the Bethesda fountain.