Search

NY budgeting

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Tahna

NY budgeting

We are planning to stay at the HI youth hostel on Amsterdam in the Upper West Side. We were wondering how much we should budget to park our car at an indoor garage there? We thought about $30 a day? Also, any idea what a cab for 3 might cost from say, the theatre district to the hostel? We're just trying to figure out how much money we'll need before we set anything in stone! Thanks.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Howard

$30 a day should cover it for overnight parking in that area. I would guess a cab ride would be about $10 (just an educated guess). Going down to the theater, you could take the subway which would cost $1.50 apiece. You're probably close enough to a subway station.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:31 PM
Tahna

Thank you very much for your input. I appreciate it. We'll probably take the subway to midtown or downtown but take a cab back if it's late. We're a little wary about the subway late at night.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 06:33 PM
rqf

The hostel is on Amsterdam and 103rd St.
It is one block to the subway on Broadway. A taxi would cost less than $10, from Times Square, probably closer to $9 with tip.
There is an indoor parking garage on W.101st between Amsterdam Avenue and Broadway. 24 hour parking would cost around $25. Subway fare is $1.50 a person. A one day fun pass for $4 provides unlimited use of subway and buses from the time of purchase until 3am the following morning. Pass can be purchased in the 103rd St. station. Street parking is permitted in the area but there are alternate side restrictions. If you get lucky you could park right in front of the hostel for at least two days without having to move the car. I happened to be walking by the hostel earlier today and I stopped in to check their prices. A dorm room for four is $35 a person; dorm room for six is $32 a person; for ten, $29 a person. It is $3 less for members. I was surprised to learn that private rooms, with bath, accommodating four people are available. Daily cost is $135. Room contains a queen size bed and a bunk bed
There is a tax that is additional - I think it is 12 or 13%. Lots of less expensive restaurants in the area. Indicate you food preference and I can provide you with name and addresses. In that area you could get by with food costing less than $15 a day per person. Example: Breakfast - Egg sandwich on a roll with coffee - $1.75; Lunch in a take out Chineses restaurnt - $5; Dinner in a Spanish restaurant - chicken and rice - $7. These are actual prices in restaurants within five blocks of the hostel and portions are large enough so they can be shared.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 11:47 AM
Tahna

Wow! Thank you so much for that information. I really, REALLY appreciate it. Do you live in the area? And if so, is it relatively safe etc.? I'm glad you posted the hostel prices because they are slightly higher than what their website says. Any other information you can pass on is greatly appreciated, either here or direcly to my email. Thanks so much!

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 02:29 PM
Ann

Can you get the subway pass on weekend days? It is available anywhere other than the 103rd Street Station? I'm staying in Midtown.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 05:48 PM
rqf

Most, if not all, subway stations in midtown, have machines that dispense Metro Cards.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:14 PM
Caitlin

You can't buy the fun pass at all (or even most) subway stations, unless things have changed. You can, however, buy them at many drug and corner stores and at the main tourist info place in Times Square. they are good for any day of the week. You can also get a weekly unlimited pass for $17 or an eleven-ride (plus one bus-bus or subway-bus transfer per fare) pass for $15. These can be bought at any subwau station.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 05:42 AM
Owen O'Neill

A year or so ago few if any of the subway station tellers sold the one day pass but I believe that most of them now do and it's also available at the automated dispensers which take ATM, credit or debit cards. Caitlin's suggestin is a good one - it's generally easiest to just grab one at a neighborhood convenience store - most of them sell the pass.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 10:58 AM
rtqf

Caitlin: Things have changed. Metro Card dispensing machines are located in most, if not all, subway stations in Manhattan. The machine does offer the $4 fun pass in addition to the 7 day and 30 day unlimited use cards. Of course, they also offer regular metro cards. Machines accept both credit and debit cards. Now that you can pick up a card at the subway station I wonder how many convenience stores still offer that service to customers. My recollection is the machines started appearing around six months ago.

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 02:28 PM
Caitlin

Yes, of course I know about the machines, which have been around for a year or more at many stations, but at first they didn't sell the Fun Pass, for what reason I don't know. Glad to know they do now. I think you still can't buy it at the booth, though.