Reload this Page >

Novice Skiiers seek Expert Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Jenelle

My sister and I are researching ski trips. It would just be the two of us going some time after the first of the year; preferrabley late Jan. or early Feb.- but the date is very flexible. Given our beginner status(niether of us have been skiing before) what would be the best destination for this time of year?

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 03:49 AM
jamy

Where are you located?
For how long do you want to go?
Do you want to fly or rather drive?

Every ski resort has some trails for beginners and ski instructors who will give you as many group or private lessons as you want. The end of January is a great time for every ski area but I would make sure that kids don't have a school break. During ski vacation our resort becomes very crowded and I don't think it would be any fun for those who are trying to learn.

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Will

Jenelle
One of the best places to learn how to ski is a little resort in Quebec called Gray Rocks. Its located right across the river from a super resort called Mt. Tremblant. They operate as a ski school only--your weekly package includes 5 days of ski instruction (only with others of your same age and ability) for all levels. In other words, the entire mountain is pretty much reserved for ski school--not a whole lot of free skiing going on. They have amazing instructors, once you have been there for 5 days you will feel confident to go anywhere in the world on your next trip. All of this for a pretty reasonable price as I remember (haven't been there in about 7 years). You guys should check it out.

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 06:01 AM
Mike Hocksbigg

I went with a group (ranging from beginner to expert) to Vail last January. As a beginner I would highly recommend Vail. The village is quaint and beautiful, ski instruction area is great. My advice...definitely take lessons your first day. I tried to hit the green slopes first but spent most of my time on my ass. After my lesson the greens were fantastic...you will love it.

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Skier

Grey Rocks is a great place to learn but the weather can be downright frigid in January, below zero often. Another great place to learn is Killington VT., they have a great ski school as does Steamboat Colorado. If you live near a small hill or resort, you can start taking lessons there, after you have mastered the slopes there go to a bigger mountain.

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 06:09 AM
SkiInstructor

I agree with Skier, best place to learn is a ski slope close to home. It doesn't matter how much elevation it has. You can learn the basics there. Why spend a ton of money on a glitzy resort when you don't know if you will even like to ski. Better to learn the basics at a small place, and to see if you really like to ski. I have had people in my classes who had on lesson and ended up hating it they never got back on skis again. You will fall a lot when you are learning, and after a few face plants it suddenly isn't so glamourous.