Notices

November 3-4 Day Romantic Getaway

Oct 8th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

November 3-4 Day Romantic Getaway

My wife and I are looking to getaway for 3-4 days in early November. We haven't had a getaway with out the kids for 4 years. We are stuck and just can't decide where to go.

We have considered the following:

New England - It appears to be to late in
the season, many places have closed for the season.

Oregon Coast - Probably a bit cold

Anything Southwest - We live in the Southern Utah desert and have seen and done most of the Southwest destinations.

Mexico - My wife isn't a big fan of anything South of the border

Canada - we have done Victoria, Vancouver, Whistler and Banff. Banff is one of our favorite places to go and is a possibility, again it is off season, many places are closed. We have never been anywhere in in Canada West of Alberta and are open to suggestions. Is it to cold this tie of year? I have seen Quebec mentioned. Do you need to speak French?

New York - Been there

Hawaii - to long of a flight for a short trip

Caribean - to long of a flight for a short trip

Florida - We just did Florida with kids a few months ago.

California - In general pretty well been there, done that. Wine contry doesn't exite us, we don't drink. We have done most of Southern California several times.

Seattle - We have been before but it has been 10 years???

Cruises - have done several?

Boston?
Niagara Falls?

After making this list I am starting to feel spoiled. I guess we are looking for something new to try.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:00 AM

Boston and New England could be a possibility. Sometimes the weather is mild and lovely but you could also get rain. (We're having torrential rains this weekend in mid-October). Friends and I just spent a weekend in Boston. All of us loved the culinary tour of Boston's North End by Michele Topor. Well worth the money and very tasty. Our tour finished after 6pm so we went directly to a restaurant she recommended for an early dinner without reservations. We had to go back on Saturday to shop for ingredients we can't get at home. On Saturday we also visited China Town and had lunch at a dim sum restaurant. Saturday night we went to a show (Menopause the Musical was great but the audience was 90% female. You might not like it.) On Sunday we went up to Newburyport, a quaint seaport with lots of nice shops and restaurants. On other trips to Boston we have gone to the Museum of Fine Arts and the JFK Library. New England stays open all year just some of the summer places close down. You might investigate weekend events for Kennebunk Maine and Portland. There are great restaurants in Portland ME and Portsmouth NH. You might actually get weather nice enough for a stroll on a beach ... but it might also be a raw day better for inside activities. Check to see what's going on at the theaters in the aforementioned cities. There's plenty of places with live music. If you want to explore history there is Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth. Maybe check what is happening at Manchester NH's Verizon Center or Boston (what used to be Boston Garden) for sports or big name music stars. Not knowing your interests, I'm just mentioning the usual.
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:05 AM

Quebec is very European in atmosphere, but you do not need to speak French. Quebec City will probably be quite cold and windy but very romantic; Montreal is a great city.

Although a lot is closed for the season in New England, you might check Newport, RI (fly in to Providence).

Do you like cities, seacoast, or mountains? Cool or warm weather? What do you plan to do for three days - sleep? shop? museums? fine dining? What price range? That will help with further recommendations.

Have you been to Santa Fe? If not, that would be my first choice for you.

Also, you could easily consider returning to Florida. Did you go to Orlando with the kids? You could consider Key West or Marco Island or St. Augustine for a compeletely different trip.

I'd also consider Boston or San Diego, depending on which coast is more convenient for you, and which you haven't been to already.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll have a great trip just getting away together.

Oct 9th, 2005, 05:14 AM

Hi DFrost!

We always seem to be posting at the same hours, and offer similar advice! I think we live in a "parallel universe!"

Your Boston weekend sounds great! I have been a big fan of Michelle Topor's for at least 10 years now since she was featured on HGTV's "The Good Life." We've done her tours a couple times, and I agree, they are awesome. We've actually bumped into her a few times socially, and just think she is a wonderful person. Glad you had such a thoroughly enjoyable weekend!

Oct 9th, 2005, 05:48 AM

I dont know if you have already done the following but we found it very interesting: Moab as base to visit Arches n.park, Dead horse point ,Canyonlands n. park and on the way home Natural bridges n; monument and Capitol reef N. park. Also Santa Fe and Taos are worthwhile. Paul
Oct 9th, 2005, 08:49 AM

Here are a few ideas, although I haven't been to all of them...

Savannah
Charleston
Palm Springs
Las Vegas
Sedona
San Diego
Catalina Island/Channel Islands
Mammoth Cave/Lexington

Happy planning!
Oct 9th, 2005, 08:52 AM

What about Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA? They are both delightful places for adult weekends.
Oct 9th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Will you be flying from Las Vegas or from Salt Lake?

Gotta choose a nonstop destination in my opinion, with such a short trip.
How about Coeur D'Alene, Idaho?
Oct 9th, 2005, 12:16 PM

If you haven't already booked, Southwest is having a fare sale that ends tomorrow. Some great fares. What about Fla. for a few warm days?

Search this Thread