Reload this Page >

Not the usual NYC lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 08:58 PM
Shawn

I really need help on this one. I'm supposed to be going to a conference in NYC in mid-January. It's being held at NY Presbyterian Hospital at 701 W. 168th St. There are rooms being held at the Englewood Radisson in Englewood, NJ. While I realize that this probably isn't as far as it sounds, I do not want to use a car. Is there a way to get from this hotel to the conference site w/o a car? Otherwise, is there a better place to stay? I would actually prefer to stay somewhere in between the site and Midtown so I have more accessibility to sight-seeing. I don't mind taking public transportation if it isn't too difficult to figure out, but I've only been to NYC once before and don't really remember where anything is. Can someone help? Thanks in advance.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 04:57 AM
AC

Hi Shawn:
Actually you are right, Englewood is not that far from Columbia Pres. Right over the George Washington Bridge. Without a car you will have to depend on NJ Transit or the Red and Tan lines. Someone else may have some more information on them for you.
Car Parking at Columbia will be practically impossible due to construction that is ongoing at their parking facilities. Parking on the street is non-existant and there may be a lot or two that will be crowded already.
I think staying in NY is a better idea. You have all kinds of Public Transportation outside Columbia. The #1 train stops right underneath. The M4 bus starts at Penn Station and ends outside the Hospital.
How long will you be in town? Mid January is sort of a down time for hotels so you might be able to get a really good rate on a quality mid-town hotel. Do a search here. You'll see many recommendations for all price ranges. Hope this helps.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 04:59 AM
AC

Shawn:
For more info in NYC Public Transportation go to..
www.mts.nyc.ny.us

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 05:22 AM
Annie

Hello Shawn:
Good idea to stay in the city. I don't think traveling in from NJ without a car is easy. Try www.hoteldiscounts.com for some hotel suggestions.

AC's website address for the MTA has a typo--www.mta.nyc.ny.us. Good luck!

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 05:38 AM
Ess

It's not difficult to get into the city from NJ on public transportation (the Red & Tan bus line goes to Englewood from Port Authority in NYC, but why sit on a bus in traffic unless you have a LOT of time you want to kill? Try to get a hotel room in the city, and ride the subways - it's much faster and easier to get around the city that way.