Reload this Page >

Northwestern Football Game

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 02:56 PM
Loretta

My family of four (boys ages 11 and 17) are flying from Detroit to Chicago for the Northwestern-Michigan football game. Even though we are on limited time, because of the game, I would like to get ideas on what not to miss. I also would like recommendations on hotels that are kid-friendly and great location. Thanks

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 06:12 PM
kam

The official? hotel in Evanston is the Orrington but there is also a Holiday Inn farther south in Evanston. There are also hotels over in Skokie which is an easy drive following the game. Wish I could help with restaurants, it's been too long since we lived there. Enjoy.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 06:21 AM
marilyn

There are two brand new hotels, a Hampton Inn and an ExtendedStay America, I believe, just west of the Edens Expressway at Old Orchard Road. As the previous poster said, the Orrington and the Holiday Inn are to be found in downtown Evanston. Parking is pretty poor around the stadium, but I believe there are shuttles from various locations. Or, you could actually stay downtown and take the el (Red line or Evanston express) out to the stadium. It's a pretty easy walk from the end-of-the-line el stop in Wilmette to Ryan Field, just across the border into Evanston.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 08:35 AM
Amy

As an NU alum who still lives in the area I am happy to offer advice. The hotels that were already mentioned are your best bet. While you are in town do the walk through campus, check out the sport center, drive North on Shreridan Rd to see the Bahai temple. You can take the Metra or El from Evanston downtown to Michigan Ave, Shedd Aquarium, and the Field Museum (try to get tickets for the Titanic Exhibit)
My favorite restaurants in Evanston are Roxy Cafe or Daves Italian Kitchen for Italian, The Keg and Yesterdays are good sports bars for burgers. Davis Stree Fish Market is great for seafood and Pete Millers if you want upscale steak. Clark's is great for breakfast. Also, parking is tough but many people offer up their driveways for $10 near the stadium. There is also a shuttle that runs from SPAC (sports center at the north end of campus) to the game. A lot of people tailgate here in the morninigs. Any other questions let me know. Have a great time - we have season tickets so we will be there as well although it sounds like we will be cheering for opposing teams. GO WILDCATS!!!

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 11:28 AM
kam

One more thought---Chicagoans, is Mustard's Last Stand still near the stadium? This is a great hot dog stand for a famous Chicago style hot dog. Drooling as I write this! They're the best. And, the Northwestern train goes close to the stadium as well. (you could walk it from the Orrington though)

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 01:25 PM
Amy

How could I forget Mustard's Last Stand. Yes, it is still there just about half a block west of the stadium on Central and they always set up vendor carts outside for easier service. A must stop for the Chicago style dog and great cheese fries.

Old Aug 26th, 2000, 01:32 PM
Anna

A great place for breakfast in Evanston is Walker Brothers Original Pancake house, it is located on Green Bay Rd next to the Kohl Children's Museum. Normally on Sunday mornings there is a line to get in, but they have the best breakfast food!