New England vacation in October

Aug 10th, 2000, 05:27 PM
Terry and Nancy Flynn

New England vacation in October

My wife and I are traveling to New England first week of October. Flying to Boston and then driving to Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Any suggestions on driving routes? Busy time of the year so are B&B reservations necessary? What are the nicer B&B's? Thank you in advance for ideas and suggestions.

Aug 22nd, 2000, 05:15 PM
MaryH

We are planning a similar trip, exact dates, although leaving out Boston. Please E-mail me with any replies you get. I can't check Fodors that often. Thanks!
[email protected]

Aug 22nd, 2000, 05:47 PM
betsy

Please keep in mind that you are travelling to northern New England at probably the most popular time of year for tourists--most of the popular B&Bs and Inns get booked up a year in advance,especially on weekends. I'm not saying you won't have a place to stay, it's just that you may have to look a little harder to find what you're looking for. That said, YES, reservations are essential. www.newengland.com is a good place to start.
A nice route from Portland, ME to Vermont would be to take Route 302 from Portland, heading sest. When you get to Jackson, NH, take Route 16 (I believe) through Pinkham Notch to Route 2. Then follow Route 2 West into Vermont.
Where are you flying out of??? If you're going back to Boston, follow Route 100 S through the "spine" of the Green Mountains. When you get to Route 4, follow that East to I-89 which will take you back to Boston.
Besides booking lodging now, the best advice re: driving routes I can give you is to get a map and don't be afraid to go "off the beaten path". The backroads are often where you'll find the best views.
Have a great trip!

Aug 26th, 2000, 06:10 AM
Maureen

If you are planning a leaf-peeping trip to New England, BOOK IMMEDIATELY! Do not travel without reservations unless you are willing to sleep in your car.

Aug 26th, 2000, 07:00 PM
gail

My husband and I traveled with friends two years ago. Never been there before and took the routes you are speaking of. We found a book entitled "The Most scenic drives in American ..120 spectacular road trips" by Reader's Digest and it was wonderful. We flew into Boston (big mistake..too big and lost our luggage) so we had to stay overnight which put us a day behind. We had everything timed to a T. We left Boston and drove up the coast of Maine (quickly) and stayed in Camden one night, left there and drove across New Hampshire and stayed the next night near the New Hamphire/Vermont border. We found the most wonderful covered bridge after stopping about 5:00 p.m. at our bed and breakfast, then on to Stowe, Vermont (our favorite place) and only stayed two evenings and one day. (Next time we'll stay longer). We found the Von Trapp Family Lodge and had a look but didn't stay there. It looked nice. Then we drove south down the middle of Vermont (Highway 100) across the northern part of Mass. and down to Cape Code (stayed at Sandwich)then back to Boston and out. The leaves were wonderful and we did have reservations. We stayed at moderately priced bed and breakfasts and met some wonderful people. The leaves were incredable and we are planning to go back to see the rest of New England this fall. The only thing I would do different is to fly into a smaller airport instead of Boston. We hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. We have traveled all over the world and it is now one of our favorite vacations.

Search this Thread