Northern Michigan Trip Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a week-long vacation to the Northern Michigan area in the last week of August. Already on our list is 2 nights on Mackinac Island. We're trying to decide what to do with the rest of our days!

We live near Detroit, but at the start of this vacation we will be coming from the Chicago area. We thought it might be fun to drive up through Wisconsin and visit Pictured Rocks. I know the driving times, but how much time do we need to do that properly? (Is 2 days enough?) Would we be better off heading back through Indiana and up the east coast (which we've also never done)? Would we be better served getting our nature fix at Sleeping Bear? Other suggestions?

Second, we'd also like to do the Charlevoix area and looked at the Weathervane Terrace Inn. It looks cute, but is it clean/comfortable/fun? Other recommendations (<$150)? Seems like lots of hotels around there are just out of our price range!

Finally, our hotel in Mackinac is going to be either the Main Street Inn or Lake View Inn. Comments on those places?

Thanks so much for your help! I've already gotten so many great ideas just searching past postings here.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Have you considered taking the ferry from Mainitowac, Wi ACross lake Michigan to Ludingotn, MI.It is kind of a fun way to relax. The ferry is like a cruise ship reallly....well not really .....There are bars/restaurans theatres. It is a 4 hour tour.

You will love Sleeping bear Dunes. do the "Stocking
Trail" tour. It is unbeleivable. It is in this area.It takes about 2-3 hours in a car ifyou stop and enjoy the magnificent views, etc...
Have fun!
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 11:58 AM

In Pictured Rocks you can take one of the boat tours, as well as hike to waterfalls and other interesting overlooks. If you do come through the UP, another interesting place is Seney Wildlife Refugee. They have a wonderful wildlife drive.

If you choose to stay in the LP definitely do Pierce Stocking Drive and the Empire Bluffs hike in Sleeping Bear NP.

Have never stayed at the Weathervane but always stop at the restaurant when in town.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go to the UP and Pictured Rocks, you might consider Fayette State Park, almost due south of there on Lake Michigan. Used to be an iron ore shipping village-quaint.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 05:51 PM

Charlevoix and Sleeping Bear Dunes are both definitely worth seeing. Try vrbo.com for a condo or house rental by owner. Maybe you'll get a better rate.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 07:05 AM

On yor way up to Munising, be sure take a brief stop at Kitch-iti-kipi springs. It will only take 30-40 minutes. http://www.visitmanistique.com/bigsprings/park.html

You will want a bit over a half day for Pictured Rocks and Munising.

From there I would take M-28 over to Newberry and up to the Upper and Lower Tequamenon Falls and the Great Lakes Shipwreck Mueseum at Whitefish Point. That will take the better part of a day as well.

From there you might take a short drive on M-221 across to Bay Mills, stopping to tour the Point Iroquois Lighthouse and going on to Sault Ste Marie to visit the Locks and see the enormous freighters passing through.

I visited that area recently http://www.mightymac.org/superior1.htm

Keith
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 03:12 PM

I'm so jealous! My husband and I traveled to northern MI 2 summer's ago and had such a wonderful time.

We enjoyed the driving and the wineries on Mission Peninsula (esp. Chateau Chantal) and Leelanau Peninsula.

Another town we loved was Petoskey. It had a great shopping area there. We strolled along enjoying unique shops and had a gelato (American Spoon? Cafe) on a hot summer afternoon.

If you end up staying overnight near Traverse City, I'd definitely recommend Country Hermitage Bed and Breakfast ( www.countryhermitage.com )

Can't help with lodging on Mackinac Island. We stayed at Island House. Both your choices look nice though. There are so many choices there and all of them looked well kept.

I don't want to go on and on if you're not interested. If you want more info, I'll be happy to provide it though!

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 11:10 AM

Are you bicyclists? Riding the path along Little Traverse Bay between Charlevoix and Petoskey is beautiful.

The Petoskey State Park has a great beach, but an alternative for water access is the public beach in Walloon Lake Village (on Walloon Lake), just south of Petoskey. Good swimming and great sunsets from that vantage point.

Dinner at the Walloon Lake Inn is pricey, but oh so good. As is the Rowe Inn in Ellsworth, which is more accessible if you stay in Charlevoix.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:59 AM

My favorite ride from Sleeping Bear is to follow the coast US-31, all the way up to Mackinac...you will pass through many pictureque towns like Traverse City, Elk Rapids, Charlevoix, Petoskey, Harbor Springs and then follow M-119 up the famous "Tunnel of Trees" for a beautiful shoreline ride to Cross Village. There you will find the famous Legs Inn (google them for more info) great polish food and a "to die for" view of the water. From there you can get to Mackinac city. All along the route are fabulous restaurants, shopping and art galleries. One can easily spend 2-3 days meandering up the beautful coast...if you time it right, you can be in Petoskey around 9pm for the most gorgeous sunset you will ever experience!
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:07 AM

I personally would get my nature fix and drive through Sleeping Bear. As a kid my family rented a cottage on the national park for about 10 years and we could see the dunes from the cottage. Absolutely breathtaking. We did a dune hike every summer. Driving up HWY 31 (Ithink) is beautiful and worth the nice slow drive. I would also recommend the Leelanau Peninsula and going to Leland and Sutton's Bay.

I stayed on Mackinac a few times but never those hotels. I have hear good things about the Lake View but know nothing of the Main Street Inn.

Have a great trip!!!!