Day trip from Napa & other questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going with my DD and her husband to Napa for 4 days in Oct. I would like to take a day trip to the coast and possibly thru some redwoods - is this possible? Could we combine this with a visit to the Russian River Valley?

We are staying in Napa at the Churchhill Manor B&B - anyone stayed here? My DD wants to do the Napa Valley Wine train - is this worth it? Thanks for your help - Fodorites are always the best.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 02:00 PM

From Napa - you could drive to Muir Woods to see some nice trees (an hour or so from Napa in Marin County - toward SF) http://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm) and then even go up to the top of Mt. Tamalpais for a great view of the SF Bay Area.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=471

If you wanted to see bigger - Coastal Redwoods - head up toward Mendocino - a 3 hour or so jaunt. see http://www.mendocino.com/forest.html
and
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1a=3700...nta+rosa&2s=CA
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 02:03 PM

And while I have never taken the Napa Wine Valley Tour - there are those who don't think that much of it - and would rather spend their time visiting wineries in the Napa/Sanoma area. But hey - you might like it - or DD might.

And the Russian River Valley is not that far from Napa.

One fun thing to do there is to check out renting canoes/etc and paddle down one of the rivers. Here is one company: http://www.riversedgekayakandcanoe.com/
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 02:41 PM

Just got back from Napa. The Jelly Belly Factory is about 30 minutes away in Fairfield and a nice way to spend an afternoon- we were there for 7 days!!! Be prepared, wine tasting has become quite expensive, like $20-$25 per person in each wineries. There are alot of 2 for 1s and some complimentary, if you are not a "wine" person
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 05:11 PM

I don't know where you went wine tasting but the only places charging prices like that would be if you wanted 2-3 sets of tastings of special reserve wines
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 05:13 PM

And the wine train is a total ripoff IMHO - very expensive for what you get.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would not do the wine train.

A drive you could do is : from Napa, head north thru Calistoga and get on Hwy. 128. This will take you thru the Alexander Valley with its vineyards and wineries. Head over to Healdsburg for lunch, shopping or wine tasting. From there, get on the Westside Road. This will take you along the west side of the Russian River. This will take you to the Armstrong Redwoods at Hwy. 116. After that you could then head back to Napa thru Santa Rosa or Mark West Springs Road. Or you may want to stay in this area or Healdsburg.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 06:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Also, from the Armstrong Redwoods, Hwy. 116/River Road heads west to the coast and Jenner.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 06:47 PM

We rarely pay for tastings at all, but then we do often buy the wine.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 09:31 AM

mztery- That's not the case. We went to Raymond, BV, Black Stallion, Clos du Val etc. It was between $15-$25 per person. One flight. Not reserves. It is only complimentary if you join their club that day. Not if you just bought any wines. Maybe those are the high end boutique wineries. As I said, there are alot of 2 for 1s and some complimentary. I also have an app on my iphone
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info. Just what I thought about the wine train - up the track and back not much fun for the money. Thanks MichelleY and Tomsd those sound like nice drives. I am going to map the locations recommended.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 09:20 PM

Except for Raymond none of these wineries cost more than $10-15 for a regular tasting. Unless as I said you were doing reserve tastings. it's why I rarely visit Napa wineries anymore.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 01:51 PM

Many wineries in the Napa Valley will allow you to share a tasting, and some also will waive the tasting fee if you buy something. Most wineries charge $10 - 15 for a tasting.

Churchill Manor is lovely. It is a large, solidly-built mansion with lovely grounds. Relatives have stayed there and we've been there several times for special events. I think it would be nice.

The Napa Valley Wine train does not seem worth it to most residents, and so most of us haven't done it. However, many, many travelers do enjoy it. The train tracks follow Highway 29, so you would see the same view by driving. The meal offered is said to be excellent, and if you decide to go, make sure you go while it is still light out. You wouldn't see much after dark. But if it is a warm night in October during the Crush, you could stand in the outside section and enjoy the unique smells and activity of the winery crush season.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 04:19 PM

auntshush - If Napa wineries are such ripoffs, why don't you not go there?

The Wine train is an inexperienced tourist's special.

The real kicker for me not to take your advice is the going to the Jelly Belly Factory, AND THEN RECOMMENDING IT.

txhomes - Check this website out, which will give you all things Sonoma County. http://www.sonomacounty.com/

Best bet for the Russian River is to find the up and over drive from around Calistoga to Santa Rosa and then north a few miles on 101. Go west to the coast any time you want from there. Lots of lovely places to stay.

mztery - KB any time you want. Mine's made of lead, so it doesn't work here.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 06:30 PM

Also if you are interested in Charlie Brown and the Peanuts, there is the Charles Schultz museum in Santa Rosa which is very interesting. Something different to see in the region.