Northern California Destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2016, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! My boyfriend and I are planning a trip from Providence, RI to San Francisco, May 25 - 30. We're planning to spend 2 nights in San Francisco and 3 nights somewhere on the North Coast to rent an AirBnB and would love suggestions! We are both in our late 20s and enjoy hiking, biking, breweries/wineries and great food.

Last year we did a similar trip and stayed in Carmel, visiting Big Sur and Monterey and it was amazing! We would like to replicate that trip by renting a car and going north this time. I'm torn between staying near the water (maybe Bodega Bay) or staying closer to wine country (maybe Headlesburg) so am wondering which is a better place to stay (restaurants, activities, scenery) and then we could just visit the other for a day trip. Also, if we stay near the coast, which town is best? Looking to go no further than 2 - 3 outside of San Francisco proper.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you!
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 06:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>so am wondering which is a better place to stay (restaurants, activities, scenery)>Looking to go no further than 2 - 3 outside of San Francisco proper.hours - you could just fit Mendocino into that times frame -- it is about 3 hours from SF if you don't hit traffic in Marin County.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 08:38 AM

If you go to Mendocino, there is great wine tasting along the drive, along with a couple of breweries, in the Anderson Valley.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 08:45 AM

That's what I was thinking -- wineries outside of the Napa/Sonoma hassle - and a couple of great breweries plus amazing scenery. And cider too.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Mendocino does sound great, thanks for the advice! Would you recommend that we drive up 101 one way and 1 the other? Looks like if we did that, we could get both coast and valley views... and maybe even stop in Healdsburg for lunch. I know it would take longer to go route 1 but time isn't really of a concern.

Does that sound feasible?
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 09:01 AM

For hiking fans I'd add Muir Woods/Mount Tamalpais to the list, and for quaint towns imo it's tough to beat Mill Valley and Sausalito.

Friends of ours recently stayed at what used to be part of the Presidio quarters and reviews have been glowing. We haven't seen it since its conversion from a military base but apparently the area still has that vibe to it. Not everyone's cup of tea but the location is stellar imo.
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 09:22 AM

>>Would you recommend that we drive up 101 one way and 1 the other?
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 09:59 AM

Inverness is a cute area, at Point Reyes National Seashore:

http://www.pointreyes.org/inverness-marin-county.html

Cabins available on VRBO.

Lots of easy day trips from this sleepy little place.