Notices

Northampton MA - Worth a visit in winter?

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 05:10 AM
Christine

Northampton MA - Worth a visit in winter?

My family (Husband, son 13, daughter 8 years) and i are travelling around New England for 10 days this winter - Towards the end of our trip we have two free days and on our schedule/map Northampton MA looks like a good location to stay. So basically we are wondering if there is much to do in the winter that will occupy a family.

Thank you for the help

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Minnywall

Hi Christine -

Northampton is a fun town, with good eats & shopping. Smith College is nearby, which can be a pretty place to walk around. Mt. Tom is close for skiing, Deerfield is nearby with Yankee Candle (truly a destination) and Deerfield Village. Amherst is also very close, with more good restauraunts and shopping (also Amherst College & UMASS). And, if you like malls, the Holyoke Mall is an easy drive, with tons of shopping. (Be sure to check out the Christmas Tree Shops!)

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 07:46 AM
Patti

HI Christine,
Northampton is fun any time of year. As Minnywall stated, the town is full of funky shops and big-city caliber restaurants. Check out the Plant House at Smith College for a respite from the snow and cold. I think it's open everyday, 9-5.
Have fun!
Patti

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Patti

HI,
Me again. Forgot to mention the Smith College campus was designed as an arboretum by Fredrick Law Olmstead--if you're interested in that sort of thing.
Patti

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 07:50 AM
bm

FYI,The Mount Tom ski area does not operate any more, so you can cross that off the list of things to see/do. In addition to the suggestions above, If your kids like basketball, you can go down to Springfield to the National Basketball Hall of Fame. Have a good trip!