North Rim Grand Canyon to Yellowstone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (family of 5 with a toddler) are planning a trip to the North Rim for next summer and would like to drive from there to Yellowstone. Does anyone have an idea of the best route, mileage, a good place to stop for the night etc. I have looked at maps but Yellowstone is so big I am having a difficult time deciding a route and what places to visit in the three days we have there.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Jayne1973

Stacy,
Regarding the time you have in Yellowstone, try posting your questions about planning your three days on the Yellowstone National Park webpage. I found them really helpful in planning my trip this summer. Here's the link:
http://www.yellowstone-natl-park.com/wwwboard/chat2.htm

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 06:55 PM

As to the route, my choice would be to come back out to US Hwy 89 and take it most of the way to Yellowstone. From south of Provo to Brigham City, I-15 is a more practical choice because Hwy 89 is a very slow commercial strip.

For an overnight stop, I'd use Logan, Utah. It's a nice and reasonably inexpensive little town nestled in the Cache Valley and climbing through Logan Canyon into Idaho is best enjoyed when you are rested and able to enjoy its beauty.

If it's open, the dairy department ice cream store at Utah State University in Logan has ice cream to die for!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 11:11 PM

Stacy,

How much time do you have for this trip?

Utahtea
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Our tentative plan is 7 nights in Sedona, 2 nights North Rim, 1 night to Yellowstone and 2 or 3 nights in the park.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 08:38 PM

I would take US 89 to just north of Panguitch and cut overto I 15 and then haul you know what to Idaho. At Idaho Falls, take US 20 to West Yellowstone.]

You can cruise at 70 - 75 on I 15 and be holding up traffic!!

The route through Salt Lake City is vitually 100% complete, so it should not delay you with traffic detours.

There are other routes, but if you are electing to skip Bryce Canyon this trip and make straight for Yellowstone, that is the way I suggest you go.

My wife once drove from Bryce to LDS hospital in SLC in about 4 hours, but she was moving it under urgent conditions. So you can cover the miles on that highway.