no. of nights in Yellowstone , Grand tetons and Grand Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a tour of the west this summer. We have plans to spend 3 nights in Yelowstone, 2 in the Jackson area and 2 in the Grand Canyon. Know this is not enough in any one area to do an indept visit, but is this long enought to get a great overview of each area?
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 08:55 AM

As you say, you realize it's not enough time....but you can get a decent overview of the sites during the allotted time. However, do you realize that it's a bit of a trek from Wyoming to the Grand Canyon? Why not save the Grand Canyon for another trip and spend an extra day each in Yellowstone and the Teton?
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 12:16 PM

From the Tetons to the South Rim of the Gc is a long drive, about 850 miles depending on your exact route.
Given that 5 nights in the Teton-Yellowstone area is a little skimpy, and en route to the GC you would bypass many marvelous places, why such a high percentage of your time driving?
I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish unless this is purely a scouting mission.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 12:53 PM

I agree with the previous posters, spend the time in the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area. That's a very long ride to the Grand Canyon just to spend 2 days. Do you already have reservations? If you don't you may have trouble finding availability at the places of your choice.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 01:53 PM

Here's another vote for the previous posters' advice. I have planned vacations around both places. When we went to the Tetons and Yellowstone we also went to Salt Lake City area and Mount Rushmore and the Badlands. It was a 9 day, 3000 mile trip from Illinois with no backtracking. We went back to Yellowstone a few years later, combining it with Glacier but that was quite a long haul as well. I would concentrate more time in Tetons and Yellowstone, take a Snake River whitewater, scenic combo trip, enjoy the ambiance of Jackson Hole.

We just went to the Grand Canyon this summer. If you aren't planning a donkey trip or Colorado river trip, two nights is enough in my opinion. We combined this trip with the Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Sedona, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde. It was quite a whirlwind in one week, especially since we flew in and out of Albuquerque but it was four adults so we were able to keep to our carefully planned schedule!
In closing, if you are driving between the two mentioned areas, you could regret it, especially if you have children unless you have several weeks and you are literally touring the western states. I like to really see a lot and keep moving, but everyone needs some down time.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:42 PM

I'll also throw in my vote for skipping the Grand Canyon unless you have more time and are going other places too.

Utahtea