North Myrtle Beach vs. Surfside Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are considering a few days in Myrtle Beach, after a few days in Hilton Head, but need some opinions whether to stay in N Myrtle Beach or Surfside Beach. The dates we are thinking of staying are May 9-14. I know, I know, biker week begins on the 13th so that is definitely a concern. If anyone one can shed any light on that experience that would be most helpful, as well.

Right now, the hotels I'm interested in are the Holiday Inn Sunspree in Surfside, and in N MB I'm looking at Forest Dunes and Beach Cove but am certainly open to other ideas. I don't know much about the location of Forest Dunes so if anyone has stayed there--is it with in walking distance to restaurants and bars?

I appreciate any advice, thoughts, opinions, etc.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 12:30 PM
GoTravel

I've stayed at the Beach Cove and it was very nice. Nice area of beach and it is right across the street from Barefoot Landing which is an outdoor shopping, dining, entertainment venue.

Since it is bike week, there should be some great concerts at The House Of Blues which is in Barefoot Landing.

Skip Surfside that week because Surfside will be packed then with bikers. The northern part of Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach will not get crazy packed until Wednesday May 18th.

The southern part of the Grand Strand, Surfside, Murrells Inlet, Garden City will be jam packed for the entire 11 days of bike week so if you aren't riding, you'll probably want to stay out of the area.

On the other hand, if you have any interest in bikes, you'll have a blast.

We'll be there for nine days this year had so much fun last year on bike week (we ride).

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much GoTravel. I thought that Surfside would be kind of quiet during that time since it's mostly residential but thank you for letting me know otherwise. So, I guess we should try to stay closer to North Myrtle Beach. I love Barefoot Landing and love the area of N MB so that would work for us.

We don't ride, but certainly have nothing against people that do. I actually think it could be kind of exciting to experience for a few days. I guess my main concern if we were to stay closer to the strand would be trying to sleep at night. I was interested in staying at the Patricia Grand which is closer to the north end of the strip but figured that would be pretty crazy around that time. Since you've experienced bike week, do you know if people start to come before the official start date of the 13th?

Thanks again, GoTravel. When are you heading down this year and where are you staying? I would love to hear any more advice if you have any, or from anyone else for that matter.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:57 AM
GoTravel

Ethel, the south end, Surfside, Garden City, Murrells Inlet will be busy the full weekend before and that entire week and the following weekend. The houses in those neighborhoods only rent from Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun.

We are renting a house in Garden City with several other couples.

If you want to come and see it I suggest SBB Four Corners. Lots of vendors and bikes and it is on Bypass 17 in Murrells Inlet across the street from Inlet Square Mall. It is an old Lowes or something they turned into a biker bar.

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:47 AM

You must be talking about the Suck Bang Blow. There's also a newer one on the by-pass.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 07:25 AM
iceeu2

Where on the by-pass, Budman? Hwy 9?

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 07:43 AM

The newer one is on Hwy 17 Bypass right before you get into Murrels Inlet. The other place is off of 17 Business near Surfside Beach. I haven't been to either -- just did a drive by.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:34 AM
GoTravel

Budman, I did say 17 Bypass across the street from Inlet Square Mall.

The other one is down in Murrells Inlet on the other side of Inlet Square Mall on Business 17.

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:26 AM

Ethel,

your terminology may be throwing some folks--North Myrtle Beach and Myrtle Beach are different places.

Forest Dunes is in a GREAT area of Myrtle Beach. Actually that may be a best bet at the very beginning of bike week, as you stated you are interested in sleeping at night.

A few other specifics you requested info on. Restaurants and bars within walking distance of your hotel? Not really--the hotels where this is most possible are in the heart of MB (like the Patricia Grand). Places like Beach Cove (in the Windy Hill section of NMB) do not have anything within easy walking distance, although you could walk the 3/4 mile or so to Barefoot and try your luck crossing the six lanes of Highway 17. Also, the restaurants, bars, and attractions are so spread out along the Grand Strand, you'll have to drive.

As far as traffic, you have received very good advice already from GoTravel. I would add that, while *ground zero* is from the center of MB down through Surfside & Murrels Inlet, North Myrtle Beach is also a real bottleneck (there is a Harley Davidson store there). One of the reasons I would favor the Forest Dunes area is that it is in the northern part of MB and there are several parallel North-South roads that tend to alleviate traffic jams on any one particular road.

Have no worries! Bike Week is cool (even if you don't ride) when you're on vacation. It's only mildly annoying to us locals who have to get from Place A to Place B at a certain time; you know, WORK (yuck).

Iceeu2,

Highway 9? You may be thinking of HD Spokes, another biker bar, which is North and West of NMB along Highway 9. Nowhere near SBB, which is in the south part of the Grand Strand.

Budman,

didn't know you ventured down to this neck of the woods! My wife & I are still very appreciative of the advice you gave about Ireland on the Europe board.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:45 AM
GoTravel

icee or Budman, are either of you going to Myrtle Beach for bike week?

The only reason we go to HD Spokes is because the ride from Murrells Inlet to Little River is so pretty on the new Highway 31.

The Beach House on Ocean Boulevard is a great place to watch people cruise up and down the boulevard. Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle Beach is one lane of traffic each way no street parking so the two outside lanes can be used for emergency vehicles.

The local authorities, businesses, law enforcement, and Carolinas Harley Davidson Dealership Association do such an outstanding job on this rally I fully expect it to overtake attendence in Daytona over the next couple of years.

It is so organized, the locals fantastic and welcoming, and traffic so fun you just want to keep coming back.

Plus, the weather has been excellent every year we've been.

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:11 PM

beach_dweller, parents retired down there, and most of kids followed after that -- big golfing family. I try to get down twice a year, but avoid biker week. I prefer New Year's week (it was in the 70's this year).

Glad I could help on your Ireland trip -- what a great place.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:34 PM
iceeu2

GoTravel, we don't ride, so we won't be there for bike week. Usually just let some of our friends use the beach shack for the week. We usually head down over Easter weekend.

Hot dang, Budman...Memphis.....Myrtle Beach...Kauai...!!! I hope you aren't my long lost brother!!! Cause mama never told me about one!

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Message: GoTravel, what are the exact dates of Bike Week? We were considering staying in Myrtle Beach May 21-26, as a base, as we may have an opportunity to use a condo (not sure of area) - but don't want to constantly fight traffic. Would it mostly be over by the dates mentioned? PS: also, is it an easy day trip to Charleston from Myrtle Beach?
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 04:09 AM
GoTravel

Harley Week ends on Sunday May 22nd so you will be fine. Black Bike Week (kids, think Spring Break) starts on the 26th of May the day you leave.

I think you will be fine.

Depending on where the condo is located Charleston is anywhere from 1-2 hours from Myrtle Beach.

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

After reading everyone's posts, it actually sounds like bike week isn't really so bad. Especially considering we'd be leaving around the time it's supposed to begin. I looked into the Forest Dunes, and would love to stay there, but it's a little on the high end of our budget. I'm now considering staying in Myrtle Beach at the Patricia Grand (anyone have any opinions on that place) or the Dayton House Resort (any opinions on that one too). I would really love to stay in North Myrtle Beach, but the places in our budget aren't really walking distance to many things. I don't mind driving but I would prefer to have some restaurants and bars close by so we can walk at night. Definitely don't want to have to worry about driving after a few drinks.

HotWheels,
We stayed in Surfside Beach 2 years ago and drove to Charleston for a day. From there, it was a little over an hour, and that was during torrential downpours.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:20 AM
GoTravel

ethel, Myrtle Beach is not a walking town. I read somewhere that they have one of the highest pedestrian fatality rates in the country.

Don't even try to plan your vacation around walking in Myrtle Beach. It is way too spread out.

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:28 AM

ethel, both of the places you are looking at -- there should be plenty of places to walk to within a few blocks radius, including a couple of night clubs on Kings Hwy. I think you'll like the area.

I haven't been there in a while, but Shamrock's on 25th was a great place to get something to eat. They also serve a "proper pint" -- 20 oz vs. the typical 16 oz. Also, Studebaker's on 20th if you want to go dancing. Lots of other places in the area.

Broadway on the beach is nearby -- I always stop in at Liberty Steakhouse and Brewery for their oatmeal stout, and my wife likes their huge onion rings. Great happy hour - $2 pints and 1/2 apps.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Budman,
Thanks for the great tips! I think I've been to Liberty Steak House once, a few years ago, and I thought it was a blast. I have never been to Studebakers but have driven by many times. Not sure if my man will be up for that (not really the dancing type) but I know that the last time we were there, we spent a lot of time at Duffy's so I know that's always an option. Would be a long walk but could be interesting.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:13 AM

ethel,

Patricia Grand and Dayton House (as well as Camelot) are hotels near 21st Avenue North in what I consider to be near the heart of MB. I believe all of them recently underwent renovations--they are high-rise towers, oceanfront. The great thing about any of those hotels is the location--probably one of the few places in MB that you can walk to quite a few restaurants & bars, without getting killed crossing major roads (as GoTravel mentioned).

Aside from the places that Budman mentioned, you are within walking distance of Dirty Don's Oyster Bar, River City Cafe, and Soho (Sushi place), all side-by-side on 21st Avenue North between Ocean Blvd and King's Highway. Also, there is a Starbuck's and a restaurant called Papa's (haven't tried it) on the corner of Ocean Blvd & 21st. A great oceanfront restaurant--especially for lunch--is Sea Captain's House on Ocean Blvd at 30th Ave North. Finally, Bummz is a cool beachfront bar & grill on Ocean Blvd at 17th Avenue North. Realize that you will be in the heart of all that Ocean Blvd cruising that GoTravel mentioned, so don't be in a hurry to get anywhere or get a seat at a restaurant or bar.

Budman, I like the IPA at Liberty, and the happy hour appetizers are great (e.g., $3 for a big portion of buffalo-style crawfish--or shrimp). As I know you're into beer, by far the best local brew I've tasted is at the Mad Boar in Barefoot Landing. I'm a big Liberty fan, but I think Mad Boar is a little better (more hops, more depth to their beers).