Myrtle Beach Area During Memorial Week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way for a family of 5 ( 2 adults ,3 teenage girls ) to have fun during memorial week . I hear this is biker week down there . How far away from Myrtle Beach do you have to stay in order to not be over-run by motorcycles ? I like to play golf and the wife and kids like to shop . Its getting pretty late for making reservations and I need some help fast. I've been bouncing back and forth between the Myrtle area and the Panhandle and can't decide where we should go.
Thanks (help please !!)
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 04:55 AM

WARNING,WARNING, STAY FAR AWAY FROM M.B. DURING BIKE WEEK.... actually its more like 2 weeks..if you like long waits at restaurants,traffic tie ups from hell,noise,more noise,then come on down!!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:23 AM
GoTravel

Head to Garden City, Litchfield, or Pawleys Island unless you want to get in the middle of Black Biker Week.

www.BlackBeachWeek.com.

This is a young college age crowd with the partying and antics to prove it. Unless you want to expose your three teenage daughters to drunkeness, nudity, hot rod racing, and a little violence, skip Myrtle Beach and all areas north to pretty much the state line.

Garden City, Litchfield, and Pawleys Island are relatively quiet.

Go to the above listed website and click on the message board if you don't believe me.

Bike week isn't two weeks long as there are two different bike weeks.

The Carolinas Harley Davidson Dealers Association Ralley is May 13th-May 22nd. Black Bike Week is May 26-May 30th.

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:24 AM

This is black biker week and is more centered around Atlantic Beach, MB area. You DEFINITELY do not want to be in that area. Go further south to Pawley's Island/Litchfield. Look on the web for Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort. Or you could go to a NC beach such as Ocean Isle or Sunset Beach--30-40 miles north of MB. There is good golfing and shopping all along the coast.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:36 AM
iceeu2

Gotta agree with GoTravel and Gretchen on this one.

Just as a note, there is a policeman who lives behind our beach shack in North Myrtle, and his comment is this.."Do not let anyone you love or care about come down here over Memorial weekend". Even though he has been on the staff forever, he still has to work on that weekend. According to him and others we have talken with there is lots of violence, nudity, etc. We also know the county coroner who says that is a horrible time for him....So go farther south...

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:38 AM
iceeu2

Duh,,,instead of staff, I guess I meant to say force...and I haven't a clue where I came up with talken with!!

Anyway, stay out of Myrtle and areas north...

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:59 AM

Just to let everyone know the scope of this, there are 200.000 black bikers who come that week. And of course, the other part of the equation is that the actual holiday is on Monday, the day EVERYONE needs to go home. The roads out of MB are a nightmare to go back upstate in SC or NC. And GoTravel's post was about the same time as mine and Garden City is a good possibility too. This group does not stray so far south--the Harleys do get a bit further south of MB for dinners, etc., but are generally not as obnoxious as this group.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:30 AM
mm

Sex, violence, drunkeness, drugs...

Sound's like fun!

mm
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 08:30 AM

dadof03,

as a survivor of several black biker week events (and a MB resident), listen to GoTravel, Gretchen, iceeu2, and the others.

The beaches south of MB (from Garden City south) will be okay. But if it's MB that you want, come another time.

IMHO, this event is like Spring Break on steroids, with the addition of tens of thousands of bikes with a power to weight ratio like a Saturn Rocket--and riders who exhibit the resulting velocity frequently.

I have not-so-fond memories of wading through a sea of people, lawn chairs, cars, etc. at our former home (an ocean-front condo in NMB), just trying to get to our front door. I literally had to ask people to move from the stairs to let us pass; they seemed to think that was an aweful affront!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Oh,

I forgot to mention the added bonus of at least one guaranteed observation of a biker or a biker-hanger-on urinating on the side of the road. Sometimes with back turned, sometimes not. Lovely.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Hey, Thanks alot for the input . Will there be much to do in the Pawleys island /Litchfield area ? Will we still have to fight the crowds in any way down there ? Will most of the people from the Biker Rally be gone on Monday?Could we enjoy Myrtle Beach the rest of the week? Water too cold too swim? Sorry I'm so full of questions and no answers but I'm one of these people who really stress's ( probably too much) over vacation plans .
Thanks ( all help appreciated )
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:35 PM
GoTravel

Lots to do in Pawleys Island, Litchfield, and Garden City Beach.

Water temp should be 80 degrees by then.

Everyone rolls out on Monday.

Want to add that the state sends thousands of additional law enforcement in to town for both weeks so there is no violent crime. Just as Chuck and others have stated. I think public drunkeness, nudity, and urination are the most popular violations.

The only crowds in Litchfield, Garden City, and Pawleys are those Myrtle Beach locals who have second homes in these areas and head down for the week. It is a wonderful family time.

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Not that it helps with access to meals and shopping, but Kingston Plantation complex (Hilton, Embassy Suites, and many condos) have a year round ban on motorcycles.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the input . Have any of you heard of or stayed at " One Ocean Place " or Royal Garden Resort " in the Garden City or Pawleys Island area ? These seem to look decent on the internet . It seems that some people are giving the Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort some bad reviews , saying " It looks old and tired like something from the sixties or seventies"
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 03:00 AM

That is just not true. They may be talking about the Litchfield INN. It is a high rise hotel just down the beach from Litchfield by the Sea,which is a gated community of houses and high rises that is quite high end. They are renovating the Inn and it is a very good value. We have stayed there, as well as owning a condo on the beach. The Inn is right on the beach and has a nice pool. Litchfield by the Sea (which is Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort) is beautiful. The bikers do not come much below Surfside. There are wonderful (actually the best on the coast) restaurants all around Litchfield. Plenty of golf
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 09:22 AM

I would be interested in where you saw that post about Litchfield. Thanks.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 10:25 AM
iceeu2

Gretchen, if you go to tripadvisor.com you will find the post about Litchfield being out of the 70's...I don't know if that is where dadof03 read it or not, but the trip advisor ratings are not so wonderful.

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply . Yes I saw the post on trip advisor . I looked at the Litchfield Resort online and your right it does appear to be nice. As I asked in my previous post have you heard of or been to " One Ocean Place " in the Garden City area ? Just wondering , that is one place we are thinking about . It looks ok online but it is nice to talk to someone who has been there . Thanks again
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 06:04 AM

Yes, I went to TA and posted a reply to that review. I am sure he was at the Inn as he talks about the "lobby", etc. The only other place at the Resort that would have a lobby is the suite hotel and it is definitely very nice.
No, I do not know about the place in Garden City. We have a condo on the ocean in one of the buildings. If you rent a condo from the Resort you will have beautiful accomodations, in my opinion. That review is about a hotel room.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 04:04 PM
GoTravel

Royal Gardens is a little more Surfside than Garden City.

Look for a South Waccamaw Drive address for anything oceanfront in Garden City.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -