North Cascades - which route and where to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone - I have a seperate thread on the Canada board about our trip, but this is specifically about the bit in the US - we're thinking of travelling from Seattle to the Okanagan Valley in BC with one stop on the way. This would be in August.

Would folks recommend the Highway 2 over Stevens Pass, or Highway 20 through the National Park? We'll be heading for Banff, then coming back via Vancouver, so need to choose one route or the other.

My immediate feeling is that Highway 20 would be best for scenery, but I thought I'd check with the experts!

My other question - where would be a good place to stay on the way? We like small towns and bed and breakfast inns, in general.

Many thanks

Alan
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:31 AM

I've taken both routes many times and I prefer Hwy 20.

Have a look at the Mazama Country Inn as your place to stay that night. It's simple but they have a decent dining room.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Going eastbound I'd probably agree with NWWanderer, SR 20 is quite scenic, and if you're heading for the Okanagan (note spelling is different in Canada and the US) SR 20 might even be a bit quicker.

If you're overnighting in e.g. the Methow Valley, maybe you could see if you could stop en route to include the Ross Lake tour and chicken dinner. It's very enjoyable - http://www.seattle.gov/light/Tours/Skagit/default.htm
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:26 PM

I think 20 is a more scenic drive, but if you take 2, you can stay in Leavenworth and check out the Alpine-themed town.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks NWW, Gardyloo and Boom-Boom - I think we'll probably opt for 20 - although having been through the real Alps last month, it would be very interesting to see the Washington version!

I think we'll look into staying at either Mazama, Winthorp or Twisp - any other thoughts on these are very welcome.

Alan