North Carolina leaves

Search

North Carolina leaves

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Carolina leaves

My husband and I will be visiting NC in October to see the leaves. We would like to avoid the big crowds. Any suggestions?

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 02:23 PM

When in October and where in NC? October has 31 days and NC is a big long state.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
bonniebroad

laslaff, if you go on the Blue Ridge Parkway and into the mountains where the foliage is most beautiful, you will be with a crowd! During the week will be a little better than the weekends, but you'll want to get reservations NOW! But October is when everybody wants to come here ... Believe me, it will be worth putting up with the crowds!

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

We will be going the last week in October and are thinking about the Ashville area.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 01:47 PM

That's the thing w/ nature - you can never predict when it will be peak leaf watching time. Using Asheville as your base isn't a bad idea though
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 05:35 PM

The last week may or may not "get" it, but there will be color. Mid month is usually the height. It is still too early to see what our rainfall will be like, but as it is shaping up (dry) it will be early. Avoiding crowds is relative. The Parkway may be crowded during the day. Asheville is great. Make your reservations now.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:22 PM

I've been checking several VRBO's and cabins in the Asheville/smokey Mountains for late October. FYI - most have a 3 night minimum. Some a week minimum. As others mentioned, reserve NOW.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 03:52 AM

A beautiful less crowded scenic drive to view the leaves is the Cherohala Skyway near Robbinsville, NC. We take this ride every time we go to Murphy, hardly ever anyone on that road, especially during the week!!! Would highly recommend. Also, a road off the Skyway takes you to a roadside waterfall which is very nice. Also, just before the Skyway is Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 04:09 AM

Like anywhere else, if you get off a main road you can find yourself alone and no other people around even during the most popular times. My suggestion is to park your car, put your hiking boots on and enjoy solitude. If you decide to park at Graveyard Fields, for instance, on the parkway you will be overwhelmed by a number of cars and people. Don't despair, after hiking for 30-40 minutes nobody is going to be on a trail. During all day hike you meet some hikers but they are going to be real hikers not occasional visitors wearing Teva sandals. Visit DuPont Forest, Arboretum and Biltmore too. The Cradle of the Forestry had magnificent colors last year.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! I think, based on your suggestions, we will go in mid-October rather than late October. Any suggestions on rustic, wilderness cabins?