Search

North California/South Oregon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2016, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North California/South Oregon

Hi all
I am due to fly into SFO in mid September on route to a wedding in Bend OR. I will have my 85 mother in tow. Mum has mobility issues (she can walk short distances but tires quickly). I'm looking at the possiblity of a "destination hotel" between SFO and Bend where we can chill out for a couple of days. Something will good food, wine tasting and nice scenery as well as places to chill and read adn people watch etc. I've driven from SF to Bend before through Ashford but nothing is jumping out at me in that area.

Thanks in advance
Suzanne
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 05:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Why fly to SFO? The closest major airport to Bend is PDX.
Fly to PDX and then either rent a car or take a wine tour in the Columbia Gorge. http://www.winetouroregon.com/Columb...AVA_region.htm
You can also see the great waterfalls in the Gorge.
Plan on 4 hours from PDX to Bend in a rental car.
There is also a bus service from the PDX airport called the Central Oregon Breeze. You can easily rent a car in Bend.
If you must come from the south, try for a night in the Crater Lake lodge.
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 08:16 AM

I just drove this route last week and there is nothing I can think of that would be a "destination" resort".
Ashland would be the best bet.
I think I would fly.
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 08:27 AM

There are flights from Salt Lake City and several other places that fly to Redmond (RDM) which is the small airport that serves Bend.
There are several "resorts" that are in the Bend area.
Sunriver is the nicest IMO. Sunriver has its own airport if you know a private pilot that will fly you there.
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 08:46 AM

Downtown Ashland would appeal to my Grandma. There is great food, people watching, the summer Shakespeare festival, good hotel choices. But as the others have said not really resort options
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 09:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
the only 'resort' I can think of is in Mt Shasta. But not really a 'destination' unless one plays golf.
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi, flying from Ireland and there's a direct flight to San Francisco. This is a request from mama so it's not up for debate
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 01:18 PM

It would require a bit of a detour through the Redwoods, but I think you'd both enjoy Tu Tu'Tun Lodge, 8 miles up the Rogue River from Gold Beach, Oregon. http://tututun.com/ It's not a "resort" in the usual sense, but it was recently rated by Conde Nast as the 8th best hotel in the Pacific Northwest, and there are few better places anywhere to just "chill" for a few days. It checks your boxes for good food (excellent, really), wine, and scenery, but I wouldn't expect the people watching to be great. If the peace and quiet is just too much to handle, take a jetboat ride up the Rogue.

If not Tu Tu'Tun, I'd pick Crater Lake Lodge, but Ashland is always a good choice.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 07:33 AM

Off topic: tomfuller, a private pilot who does what you suggest would be in violation of the Federal Aviation Regulations. Part 135 says that unless you have a commercial pilot certificate AND an Air Taxi and Commercial Operator certificate (a commercial pilot certificate alone does not cut it) you cannot fly beyond 25 miles from the departure airport and can land only at the departure airport. Of course, this applies to persons unrelated to the pilot simply seeking transportation on the cheap.
Old Apr 28th, 2016, 04:25 PM

http://stayashland.com/

http://www.ashlandchamber.com/Sectio...?SectionID=103

Blue Giraffe is a nice day spa.

http://bluegiraffespa.com/
Old Apr 28th, 2016, 06:57 PM

For anyone planning on visiting Bend in the near future:
Roberts Field in Redmond (RDM) will be closed from May 2, 2016 until May 22, 2016. They are repaving the runways starting on Monday.
The Central Oregon Breeze will continue to operate from the RDM airport to PDX and the Portland Amtrak station.
There is a bus that picks up passengers from the northbound Coast Starlight in the morning ~9:30AM and from the southbound Coast Starlight ~ 8:05PM in Chemult.