Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Nonstop rain in Oahu and Maui in January?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I am going to Honolulu and Lahaina area in Maui Jan. 14-24. I am now getting really concerned because several people have now told me that the weather is horrific and it rains non-stop for days. It's my first trip to Hawaii so I am not sure how accurate this is. Any info would be extremely helpful.
Thanks
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 06:31 AM

It surely can rain on any day in Hawaii but rarely do rains last all day. Here's a website that you may find helpful. http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 07:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was in Waikiki/Honolulu in January for one week. It barely sprinkled a couple times during the day, and one evening we had a real downpour. Certainly nothing that spoiled our trip or cut down on our beach time.

"rains non-stop for days" perhaps *could* happen if a storm blew thru at that exact time, but would not be the norm.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 07:31 AM

I would immediately stop listening to those people unless htey currently reside in HI.

If it rained non-stop why would January be high season in HI?
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 11:06 AM

It's always rainging somewhere in Hawaii. The mountain peak in Kauai has the highest recorded rainfall on earth.

However, the east and north-facing shores are the windiest,rainiest, and the west and south-facing shores are the driest in winter.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 11:13 AM

Always is an absolute that usually does not apply. Do you think it applies in theis case? I do not think that it is always raining somewhere in HI. Maybe you should throw in an "almost" just to be safe.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 03:32 AM

I've been to HI 3 times in Dec or Jan, and had little to no rain each time. And if it is normally as rainy as you fear, I'm sure my sister who lives on Oahu would have warned me to come at a different time. Don't worry, go and have a great time.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 04:56 AM

You're not going to Kaua'i so you should be fine.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 05:05 AM

When I lived on Oahu several years ago we once had non-stop and I do mean non-stop rain for THREE days and nights. This was an unusual occurrence but I'll never forget it.

Personally, I think you are worried for nothing. Have vacationed in Hawaii many times since, usually in December and January and never had any problems with a lot of rain.

Those people who think the 'weather is horrific"...I can only imagine what the weather is like at that time where THEY live...something tells me it is NOT as nice as you will find it to be in Hawaii.
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
koa

There was a unusual weather event that occurred in 2006. From February to late March, non stop rain storms hit the Hawaiian islands. Locals refer to this event as the "40 days/40 nights rain". One of those heavy rain episodes caused the failure of the Kaloko dam on Kauai, which killed several people. But this event was very unusual, even for Hawaii in the rainy season! SO I wouldn't be concerned.Events like that year was extremely unusual. Rain storms rarely last for days!
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM

Hmmmmm.....December and January are the wettest months of the year for Honolulu. That said, yes it can rain for several days in a row during Jan but that is not the norm. The norm for Jan is windward and mountain showers in the early am and late pm hours.

The event that occurs to make the "rain for days" scenario in Hawaii are called "Kona" lows by the locals or cut off lows by the weather people. This happens when a low pressure systems forms next to or on top of the islands and lingers around for a few days before finally moving off. This can cause the flooding rains that we need every year to refill our aquifers and underground artesian wells.

Funny thing about the weather in the Dec to March time frame in Hawaii.....you can get the rain at times as most have stated, but they are usually the passing showers and the sun will shine thru most of the day. It is the best time weather wise imho to visit the Hawaiian Islands.

Everything is green and fresh from the rains. The waterfalls are all in full "bloom"

The temperatures are perfect, not too hot not too cold

Gigantic waves on Oahu's north shore are peaking at this time. If you have never seen a 30 to 50 foot wave up close and hear the roar.....just spectacular! At Pipeline the waves actually whistle at times

You can see the whales especially in Lahaina

The sunsets are clear and spectacular and many a green flash are seen at these times

I could go on and on.....all in all as I said its a nice time to visit, unless it rains of course

Aloha!

Old Oct 26th, 2008, 12:32 AM

We prefer the Lahaina tourist trap to the Kihei tourist trap, Kihei is unattractive IMO esp north Kihei. Lahaina has some history and interesting things to see. Wailea is a purpose built area for tourists with very nice hotels and beaches. Makena beach, although very beautiful can be too rough for swimming.

Old Oct 26th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I loved Lahaina! It is a historic old town that used to be where the royal family was headquartered. Sure there are now also t-shirt shops and other tourist tacky stuff but the atmosphere there is wonderful. Take the self-guided walking tour (you get a pamphlet to follow from the tourist office) to get to know ore about it and gain appreciation of the history.