NOLA hotel choice for jazzfest

Sep 27th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

NOLA hotel choice for jazzfest

I fell in love with NOLA on my first trip last year and decided to go back for Jazzfest this year. I have narrowed down my hotel to 4 choices. The Monteleone, The Omni, Lafitte Guesthouse and the Bienville House. I was leaning toward the Bienville until I read reviews about the moldy smelling rooms and poor service. I wanted a smaller place with charm but I also need clean and in the FQ. Lafitte's guesthouse looks adorable but I am a little concerned it is on Bourbon street..although at the far end.

Any thoughts? All of the hotels are pricey and in the same $300 range b/c of Jazzfest.

thanks
Sep 27th, 2009, 06:37 AM

I've gone to Jazzfest the last two years- It is fantastic!!! The Lafitte Guesthouse is on the quiet end of Bourbon, so not really a concern. But way down, and depending on what else you have planned, may not be the most convenient location. The Monteleone is definately extremely nice and a great location, and so is Bienville, not familiar with Omni? I would think any of these would be fine.

I pack my trip with plenty of the nightlife, since there are many performers in town and plenty of excellent stuff to see and do. I walk everywhere, and rarely take cabs, so a convenient location is my priority. I also do the cheap transfer to the Jazz Fest, which is the NOTA buses. So I stay at La Quinta, in the "cheap" business district, 2 blocks off Canal. This location allows me all my touring.
Sep 27th, 2009, 06:41 AM

As only a suggestion, last year, I had my husband apply for the La Quinta credit card, and with their deal then and currently, he go a free night, after the first purchase. Combined with my points, we ended up with 5 free nights and only paying for one. And the weekends were not blocked out!!! (I paid for a cheap weekday only, rest were free!!!)
Sep 27th, 2009, 07:26 AM

You might try priceline. Set a limit like $150 and go for a 4 star, then if nothing matches go up with price from there. You'll probably be able to do better than $300 a night at the least.
Sep 27th, 2009, 07:28 AM

If you want a place with charm and also afforable during Jazz Fest, try the Olivier House. I stayed there for Jazz Fest once for a very reasonable rate.
Sep 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM

I stayed at Lafitte Guesthouse for my wedding over a Jazzfest weekend years ago. It was quiet and charming (although with lots of reproduction furniture, not all antiques). My one beef was that the AC was so cold, and the window didn't open. Other than that, our room was quite big and the continental breakfast was nice.

We love the Place D'Armes for the lovely courtyard and pool, or the Provincial for the same reason. Haven't stayed at the Monteleone, but love the Carousel Bar there!

Keep in mind that all the places with charm in the FQ, unless they are super expensive, can be a little shabby because Nola is the "city that care forgot." We once stayed at the Marriott on Canal and it was so clean and perfect, but we missed the quirky charm of the smaller local places.

If you've never been to the Fest- it is a blast! Wear comfortable shoes, bring sunscreen, and hydrate all day with more than just beer! Get ready for the best food ever at the food booths.

We like having a pool at our hotel because in years when the weather is really hot, it's great to come back from a long day in the sun and have a dip in the pool before going out to dinner.
Sep 27th, 2009, 11:12 AM

We like the Monteleone. Good location, rooms are not huge but adequate. People have always been great.

Haven't been to the Bienville House for a long time but like the Monteleone better.
Sep 28th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at the Prince Conti?
Sep 28th, 2009, 03:30 PM

I stayed at Price Conti, but it's been several years ago. The room was fine, the bathroom tiny. I like the location, only half a block off Bourbon, but quiet.

Although, our tastes have changed over the years and we now spend very little time on Bourbon, at least the busy end.

My favorite place to stay is La Maison Marigny. Great little B&B. Wonderful host. Just the other side of Esplanade, on the really quiet end of Bourbon.

http://www.lamaisonmarigny.com/
Sep 28th, 2009, 03:49 PM

We have stayed @ Lafitte several times and it is quiet!
Sep 28th, 2009, 04:58 PM

I second Jean's suggestion of La Maison Marigny. Nothing is better.