Search

La Maison Marigny vs. Cornstalk Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 12:45 PM
syd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Maison Marigny vs. Cornstalk Hotel

My husband and I, and another couple are thinking of staying in either La Maison Marigny or the Cornstalk Hotel in November. We assume both are within easy walking distance to places in the French Quarter, and relatively close to the streetcar line.

Any suggestions of one vs the other?
Thanks
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 03:27 PM

This is my third attempt to post a reply to this question, so if the other two mysteriously appear, I apologize.

The Cornstalk Hotel has a very interesting exterior but it's an old hotel, the rooms are small and the staff isn't always cordial.

On the other hand, La Maison Marigny was selected by Travel and Leisure as one of the top 10 B&Bs in the country. It gets rave reviews from everyone who has stayed there and is currently ranked by tripadvisor.com as the second most popular place to stay in New Orleans. You absolutely cannot go wrong with this place
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 03:43 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Cornstalk for a week a couple years ago.

The location is terrific - walking distance to everything in the FQ and to Fauburg Marigny. It was very convinient for coming back to the hotel to drop off souveniers, shower and change before dinner, or whatever. It's about 8 blocks to Canal Street where the St Charles streetcar line ends, so that's a bit of a walk, but there is another, newer line that runs the length of the waterfront, and that stopped only a couple blocks from the hotel.

Susan is right that the hotel is old and the rooms are small. We didn't spend a lot of time in our room, so that wasn't a big deal. There was an issue with the AC (our room was really cold) and extra blankets were scarce.

As for the staff, there were 3 people who were absolutely terrific. Very attentive, very cordial. There was one guy who was alright, but not all that friendly and another guy who was downright grumpy.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:51 PM

We stayed at the Cornstalk two years ago for Quarter Fest. Decently priced at $145.00. The room was an ok size, very high ceiling, interesting decor, tiny bathroom. It was fine.

This yeat the price had jumped about $40.00 per night and didn't seem like such a decent price any more.

So, for a little bit less we ended up at La Maison Marigny. The room wasn't really that much larger, but the bathroom was much nicer. Breakfast was also much better, and the host, John, is awesome. We had such a good time visiting with him.

Cornstalk is a bit closer 'in', but not enough to be that much of an issue. We really enjoyed walking home every night to Maison Marigny. Gave us an excuse to stop at Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop for a nightcap.

Jean
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Dan

Never stayed at either but I have to go with tripadvisor.com on this one. LMM ranks as a top choice.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 12:22 PM

We stayed at the Cornstalk several years ago and found it incredibly dirty and the staff not very friendly.

Our favorite place now is the Lafitte Guest House on Bourbon. The place is mmaculate and you could not ask for a better staff!