Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NOLA dining: could "foodies" check our dining options?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 06:41 PM
elaine

We arrive in New Orleans next week. Thanks to folks on this forum for assisting with informative suggestions. Our dinner reservations are: Gautreau's, Stella's! (which recently opened), Peristyle, Mr. B's (brunch) and Bayona. This is our first visit and would appreciate feedback/input from folks who have dined at the above-mentioned restaurants. All endorsements (or alternate suggestions) will be appreciated!

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 03:47 AM
John

YUM for all five. You put together a very good list. I've eaten at each of these establishments in the last year, excep for Gautreau's which was 2 years ago. Bring loose-fitting pants (!) and enjoy our city.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Jane

We (my husband and I) ate at Bayona on Good Friday. I had the yellow fin tuna which was excellent, and my husband had the Alaskan steelhead salmon, which was the best salmon I've had for quite some time (I sneaked a bite). The service was also great!
We also ate at Bella Luna, which we highly recommend!! The service was very good, and the food was sinfully good!! My husband had the blue fin tuna which was part of a 600 lb. fish caught by local fisherman. The tuna, if cooked medium rare, tastes like the best of beef steaks. The chef at Bella Luna is a master chef, and grows all his herbs in the French Quarter. I had the pork chop with horseradish mashed potatoes. The potatoes were the best I've ever eaten! The view in early evening is wonderful, since you can see the river from almost any table. In daylight, you can watch the tankers and barges ply the water. Very scenic and romantic.
We also suggest Uglesich's on Baronne. The neighborhood is not the greatest (park on the lot or across the street) but the food is Creole/Cajun and relatively inexpensive. You will probably have to stand in line. Go early for lunch and take cash (They don't take plastic). The oyster po-boy, shrimp and grits, and fried green tomatoes were soooooo good. The gumbo was just the way we like it. Don't expect much decor, or many tables. Be patient, it's worth it. Have a drink while you wait.
We haven't had Mr. B's for two years, (we visit N.O. every other year or so) but the food (especially the gumbo) was really good then.
Have a great visit to one of our favorite cities!!

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 09:14 AM
Frank

Elaine: Your selections are good, but if you are interested in experiencing regional cuisine (creole, cajun)then Bayona and Peristyle, though among the best in N.O., will not serve your purpose. Both are more "new American", like many restaurants found in NYC, LA, SF, etc. A few additional suggestions: Galatoire's (quintessential N.O. creole), Uglesich's (a ramshackle "dive" in a seedy area, but a true eating experience), Mothers (breakfast of "debris on a biscuit"), NOLA (one of Emeril's restaurants, IMHO, his best).
Try nolalive.com and nomenu.com for N.O. restaurant reviews and discussion.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Elaine, I suggest you stop eating now in preparation.

I also agree with Frank that if you do decide to make a more casual substition, that you eliminate either Peristyle or Bayona. While each are very good, I found the food experience to be very similar (with a slight nod to Bayona). Have fun.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Mark

Try Casamento's (spelling???) for the best fried seafood you'll ever have. And I'm not a big fan of fried food.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 02:12 PM
elaine

Thanks to all who have replied (we don't leave until later this week). Since our visit coincides with JazzFest and a huge conference, our dinner 'list' may need to stay "as is". Dinner reservations are 'impossible' to secure for our dates of travel. Very difficult choosing Peristyle vs Bayona. We'll wait until we arrive in the city. Our hope is to sample local fare during lunch. Choosing a restaurant has never been this difficult: the choices are endless. Am grateful if "where to have dinner" presents a 'problem' - some are not so fortunate. Again, many thanks to all the NOLA residents and to those who have visited for your sound advice and suggestions. This forum is invaluable particularly for first time visitors...anywhere!