Reload this Page >

Need great place to stay in Napa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Kristen

I am surprising my husband with a trip to Napa and want to stay somewhere wonderful! Any other tips on "must do or try" appreciated!

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Sal

If money is no object, stay at Auberge du Soleil in St. Helena off the Silverado Trail. We really liked the Vintage Inn in Yountville. There were several wonderful restaurants within walking distance and a spa at their other property next door (Villagio). I know their are many wonderful B&Bs and restaurants in the Valley. Make reservations as early as you can.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 06:13 AM
sarah

Kristen

Napa is expensive. The Harvest Inn in St. Helena is within walking distance of the cute town. Also the Vintage inn is a great Inn as well that she mentioned in Yountville. Yountville is the bottom of the valley and St. Helena is mid-valley. not really a bid driving distance. Yountville has many great restaurants to walk to though.

No such thing as a reasonable place to stay. If you are there for a few days try to get to the top of the valley to Calistoga. And get a message at one of the many places there. Just walk around and pick one. I hated the mud baths - but most people seem to like it. Then drive back down the Silverado Trail and visit the mom and pop wineries. I would pass on Auberge - we were just there and they are slipping a bit and outrageously priced. Save the money for more wine!!!!

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 07:15 AM
lynn

Hi -

We've also been talking about a Napa trip.

What are the price ranges for upscale properties and dining?

Lynn

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 10:57 AM
L

Lynn, access Wine Spectator and look at their Napa Valley articles ... these include hotels, B&B, restaurants, etc. plus prices. Napa is strictly upscale. For a great B&B, try the Ink House on 29 ... ask for the rear room. Totally charming place .. and actually the site for an old Elvis movie (they will tell you all about it). Just a suggestion: I cannot imagine you will not visit winderies (and probably a lot of them). Look at the better Napa wines and go to these. This area is loaded with places ... seek out the best and pay for the tasting. You'll end up with a better experience. Use WS ratings to help you decide. The Access guide for Napa/Sonoma will help you get organized.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Amy

My husband and I were in Napa with another couple last May and found a wonderful place to stay in Calistoga. It is called the Cottage Grove Inn. There are 12 or so cottages that have been newly and immacuately rennovated ... each one is decorated in a different style ... but all have fireplaces, skylights, huge 2-person jacuzzi tubs and the most comfortable beds we've ever slept in! I think our room was $250 a night. The offer a great continental breakfast in the morning and a wine and cheese hour in the afternoon. Also, it's within walking distance to the cute little town of Calistoga. Calistoga is at the northern part of Napa Valley ... but to enjoy Napa, you're going to have to drive all over anyway. It's so beautiful ... you won't mind!

Auberge du Soleil is beautiful ... but we just stopped for a drink on their patio in the late afternoon and were totally satisfied by that.

A great place for dinner is The Greystone Culinary Institute ... also Tra Vigne.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 03:25 PM
kam

There is a Napa Valley B&B website somewhere. Would recommend a lunch at Domaine Chandon (sparkling wine by the glass to accompany lovely French food), dinner at Tra Vigne, I suppose I should include the French Laundry (although it puts me off a bit that they require a credit card to reserve), and a lunch at the old standby, Mustard's. Auberge du Soleil is outstanding, but as someone has said, very pricey. Vineyard Country Inn is nice in St. Helena and the newer Inn at Southbridge lets you walk in St. Helena to restaurants and shops or they offer reciprocity with Meadowood for golf and tennis. I personally would chose Maison Fleurie in Yountville, a lovely little hotel that looks like a bit of France in the middle of town. Fantastic service and good breakfasts. Take a hot air balloon ride for an extra surprise.