Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

No Mobil or AAA listing. Should I be worried? I be worried

Sep 10th, 1999, 10:03 AM
Joy

I noticed that the Courtyard that we will be staying at does not list any Mobil or AAA ratings. Does it matter?

Sep 18th, 1999, 11:13 AM
Cal

I assume that you mean Courtyard by Marriott. I would not worry at all about not being listed in the AAA nor Mobil guides. They may not feel that they need to pay the fees at AAA etc. The Courtyards by Marriots are all pretty good.

Sep 18th, 1999, 05:49 PM
Umble

IMHO I think AAA is slipping badly -- having trouble keeping up with changes in tourist scene, prices, trends, etc. So many new hotels going up, so many old ones acquired by someone else. The Courtyard you're at may be new or renovated from some other chain.

Also, most of the big chains have figured out that name recognition often trumps a directory listing.

Sep 20th, 1999, 05:48 PM
kathrine

Don't give it second thought. I stayed at a hotel rated with 3 stars and it was a dump, dirty, peeling paint, dirty carpets. My experience with Courtyard has always been good. As previously mentioned, the name recognition is all most places need.

Sep 21st, 1999, 03:53 AM
Cal

There is one thing that people should be aware of. Being listed in the AAA tour books is NOT free. If a resort has name recognition or is popular than why should they spend the money to be listed in some guide.

Sep 22nd, 1999, 04:31 AM
Joy

Thanks for the feedback,everyone!

Sep 22nd, 1999, 09:32 AM
jean

What Cal said about AAA is true, however the cost is not paid by the customer. It is paid by the hotel, so even if you go to a listed facility, the cost are already included in the price of the room. You can verify that by checking out other hotels of the same quality in the area. DO NOT GO BY AAA STAR SYSTEM. i have stayed at five star hotels that were terrible, and i also stayed at three star hotels that were very good. Ask around. Thats your best bet!!!!!!

Sep 22nd, 1999, 06:07 PM
BMG

The AAA ratings are next to useless in my book. They are too narrow.
Much better insight is provided by sources which will list NEGATIVES along with positives, personal reviews and/or use a scoring system which is much broader than 1-5, etc.
Examples: Conde Nast Traveler's Gold List and Top 100; Zagat survey, etc.
This info is available FREE on the internet.
Why anyone would use AAA when much more in depth info is available is beyond me.

Sep 23rd, 1999, 07:01 AM
Cal

Jean:

I know that the cost to AAA is paid by the hotel and that is what my point was. Why would a popular hotel pay money to list in AAA. BTW, I am a AAA member and use the tour guides a lot but always take their ratings with a grain of salt.