Nightlife Suggestions for New Orleans

Old May 23rd, 2000, 10:26 AM
Joe

Nightlife Suggestions for New Orleans

OK, I keep reading that Bourbon St leaves a lot to be desired. Going to New Orleans for the first time Memorial Day Weekend. CAn anyone recommend some good clubs / bars where I can here jazz or blues?

Thanks

Old May 23rd, 2000, 12:54 PM
Meg

Snug Harbor on Frenchmen in the Marigny. It's owned by one of the Marsalis guys. You might also try Donna's or Funky Butt both on Rampart Street - one's on the corner of St. Ann and the other is on the corner of Orleans. Some people will warn you away from Donna's or Funky Butt b/c of their location, but just use your common sense and be aware of your surroundings. Snug Harbor is probably the nicest place of the three but is more of a theatre/auditorium type arena rather than a bar. It's within walking distance of the Quarter, but you may be more comfortable spending $5 on a taxi. Hope this helps.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 04:24 PM
nOACH

You might want to consider a rollaway for a night on the town

Old May 23rd, 2000, 07:33 PM
John

In addition to Snug Harbor, Donna's, or Funky Butt, check out Storyville District or Tipitina's French Quarter. Both of the latter clubs are new (within 1-2 years) and have great acts! Easy walk from most hotels, too!

Old May 24th, 2000, 01:14 PM
Tracey

I just returned from New Orleans this week and can tell you to avoid the Funky Butt. The area was not a problem, we walked from the convention center to the club, then walked back to Bourbon St. and had no worries. HOWEVER - When we walked in, the smell of cat urine was so strong that we all turned around and left.

Old May 24th, 2000, 06:04 PM
John

Joe,
To get out of tourist area, head "uptown" on the St. Charles Ave trolley. Check out a bar "The Columns" - they sometimes have live music. This place is a must for me everytime I go to New Orleans. Keep your wits about you anywhere you go in NO. Have Fun!

Old May 24th, 2000, 06:12 PM
Daphne

Joe, I wouldn't worry about people saying that Bourbon St. leaves a lot to be desired. I live about 1 1/2 hours away from NO, and I still love to go to the French Quarter to people watch. It is just a different place. I love it. But yes, do keep your wits about you when you go. Have Fun!!