Search

Chicago in June

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 09:12 AM
Jane

Chicago in June

Taking 11 year old grand-dtr. just for fun trip. Any suggestions?
I have ordered Fodor's Around Chicago with Kids. Wondering about districts to "avoid"?
Best general information tour?

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 10:17 AM
Leah

Jane,

You are going to one of my favorite destinations!!!! We will be there this July for our 6th trip in 8 years.... we love it that much. I know everyone is different, we here is what our family enjoys. We like to stay downtown in the River North area. One year we did stay at the Palmer House in the Loop and enjoyed it very much, but we found that our "favorite" restaurants and things to do we in the River North Area. We don't do the "tours" anymore, but our first few trips we enjoyed the trolley and the boat tours to help us get used to the layout of the City. The list is long on great things to do in Chicago. Perhaps is you could tell us of your grandaughter's interests we could be more specific. My family loves to go to the soccer and baseball games, the Shedd Aquarium, The Field Museum, and The Museum of Science and Industry. These are just a few of our favorites.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 02:58 PM
Bob

Just about anywhere in the "Loop" (the downtown bordered by the Chicago River) is pretty heavily travelled by tourists. Avoid Cabrini Green northwest of the loop. On that note, avoid any housing project. Make use of the CTA bus system, as I've really had good experiences with it...the bus is a good way for a tourist to get around. The museums are a good bet for a 11 year old, and remember that these places all have good web sites to help your planning. The City of Chicago homepage is a good place to start.

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 05:38 AM
kristi

www.metromix.com is a great website for things to do in Chicago. It has info on restaurants, museums, attractions, etc.

You might want to check out Navy Pier-there's an IMAX theater, currently Fantasia is there but I think its leaving this weekend. There's also a children's museum, a ferris wheel and lots of other stuff. I think there are several boat trips that leave from Navy Pier if you're interested in going out on Lake Michigan.

A lot of Chicago museums have free days during the week, a better time to visit anyway because of the crowds on the weekends. I really liked the Museum of Science and Industry when I was a kid, a lot of hands-on activities, Colleen Moore's fairy castle, the U-505 submarine, the coal mine, another IMAX theater. The Shedd Aquarium is also great. Depending on your granddaughter, you might also stop by the Art Institute.

Up in Lincoln Park, there's the Lincoln Park Zoo, free every day. You can reach it by bus from the downtown area.

There's an American Girl store on Chicago Avenue, right off of Michigan Avenue if your granddaughter is still into dolls.

Ed Debevic's is a great restaurant for kids for hamburgers, milkshakes, etc.

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 07:37 AM
arjay

What a grand time you guys will have! There is SO much to do in Chicago, with kids - you'll leave planning your next trip! In addition to the fore-mentioned boat trip from Navy Pier, there also are tour boats on the Chicago River; they leave from docks right near Michigan Avenue (west side of the street, near the Wrigley Building). For getting around, the el/subway system is also quite easy to use...and kind of a 'must' if you're granddaughter has never travelled on that form of transportation! Also a MUST - Lincoln Park Zoo, which someone already mentioned. A walk along the lakefront (and some beach-time if June weather permits. It could be glorious. It could be cool. And it could be HOT. Pack accordingly!) The FAO Schwarz toy store on Michigan Ave....ice cream in the i.c. parlor at Marshall Fields...pizza lunch or supper at Uno or Due (the original Chicago pizza) (though you have maybe a20-30 min wait for the pizza, so you might want to bring reading material or other diversion). You should have no safety concerns for most of the tourist kinds of things you'll be wanting to do. The Museum of S&I is a must, but you don't want to wander too far afield from the museum...Have a fabulous time!

Old May 7th, 2000, 09:39 PM
Jane

Thanks for all the info==Looking forward to trip..Staying at Days Inn Lakeshore Tried for Palmer House=full...Also plans to take Green Line to OakPark to tour Frank Lloyd Wright's house.Chicago web site very helpful
Thanks again...Jane

Old May 8th, 2000, 04:29 AM
Kim

Hi,
I don't think anybody mentioned Adler Planetarium yet. It's also a fun place to check out.

Old May 8th, 2000, 05:49 AM
cass

The view of the city from the Aquarium is wonderful, esp. at sunset (pretty late in June, though -- it might close before then).

Hyde Park is a very interesting university district with funky stores, a Frank Lloyd Wright house, etc. but a district-to-avoid is the area between the museum/loop area and Hyde Park -- you're best off taking the train (not El) down or else a cab.

Old May 24th, 2000, 04:24 PM
Nancy

RE: Chicago in June

Hi Jane-

Days Inn Lakeshore is a great location! Rooms that face the lake have very nice views. You'll be just a short walk to Navy Pier and Michigan Avenue.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Observation floor at the John Hancock Building. On a nice day the view is stunning! And it's only a few blocks from your hotel. Also, the weekday lunch at the 95th floor restaurant is supposed to be very good and quite reasonably priced. And what a view with lunch...

The (free) Lincoln Park Zoo really is fun. You can get there via the 151 bus that runs along Michigan Avenue. If you wanted to make the trip up there part of your adventure, you could take a nice walk along the lake or through the lovely historic district neighborhood one block in from Lake Shore Drive. It would take about an hour or so from your hotel (about 2 miles).

About the bus system -- if you ride the bus this tip may help: after the base fare of $1.50, you can get two transfers for an extra 30 cents, good for 2 hours. So for short trips somewhere you can go and come back for $1.80 instead of $3.00. Or go to one place and then another and another for $1.80 instead of $4.50. The CTA has special tourist passes which might be better if you plan to use CTA a lot during your visit.

The last post is right about taking a cab or train (not El) to Hyde Park and the Museum of Science and Industry. There's also a museum bus from downtown that runs express, I believe. Have someone at your hotel mark up a map for any areas to avoid.

Finally, if you think your granddaughter might like it, the Chicago Architecture Foundation runs great walking and boat tours featuring the city's buildings and neighborhoods. There's even an El Loop tour where you ride the train around the Loop and learn about the buildings you see from the train. Seems like it might be fun for an 11 year old?

Have a great visit!

-Nancy

Old May 25th, 2000, 04:01 AM
Samantha

Hi Jane - Lucky granddaughter and what I nice grandma you are! You'll be making a memory for her that she'll draw on for many years. All the suggestions and advice you've been given are good and ones that I was thinking of. One that I don't think has been mentioned, though, is going up to the top floor of the Sears Tower. That is, if you and your granddaughter aren't afraid of heights! A spectacular view of the city can be seen on a clear day. It's been several years since I did it and I think at the time it was about $8.00 a person, though maybe there are discounts for kids under a certain age and (no disrespect if you're not yet!) senior citizens. Enjoy your time with her and have fun.....you're going to one of my favorite cities!

Old May 25th, 2000, 05:28 AM
Anna

Chicago is now part of the city pass program where you can get admission to six of the main attractions for about half of the regular admission price. Included are THE ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO, THE FIELD MUSEUM, THE MUSEUM OF SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY, ADLER PLANETARIUM, SHEDD AQUARIUM, and the SEARS TOWER SKYDECK. You can buy the pass online at http://www.citypass.net/chicago.html or you can purchase it at any one of the attractions listed. If you plan on visiting four of the museums listed, it might be worth your while.