Nightlife Manhattan

Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nightlife Manhattan

Hey guys-

Going to NYC next weekend with hubby and another couple friend. We're seeing Jersey Boys on Friday night and then on Saturday night we are having dinner at Stanton Social. We're looking for a good area to go both nights and hang out after the play/dinner. Hip, lounge type bars are what we like. We'd preferably like an area where there are a few spots to choose from, just in case one doesn't work out, we would have other options close by. Thanks!!
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 03:29 PM

You might try Thalia. They are on Eighth Avenue (at 50th Street) in the theater district. My husband and I went there after seeing Wicked for drinks and dessert. The crowd was young. You may like it.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 03:43 PM

After Stanton Social, go to The Back Room on Norfolk Street. It's a "secret" speakeasy and a short walk.

http://nymag.com/listings/bar/The-Back-Room/

Other fun Lower East Side options:

* Barramundi
* Bondi Road
* Gallery Bar

Look them up here: www.sheckys.com

Do NOT go up to the theater district. You'll already be on the LES, which is one of the best neighborhoods for bars & lounges.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Great so far guys, keep the ideas coming! Any idea of somewhere to go for dancing with a hip scene?
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM

Most of the big clubs are in Chelsea, but you'll stand on line and pay a huge cover at the majority of them, if you can get in at all.

Sheckys is a good resource for places that have dancing. Focus on the LES and Village.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 05:47 AM

27th Street is kind of an epicenter for the sceney clubs -- Bungalow8, Pink Elephant, Cain, etc. But as another poster mentioned, cover chargges can be expensive -- and the later you go, the less chance you have of getting past the front door.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone heard of Milk and Honey? Does anyone have the number to get a reservation?
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 08:42 AM
mp

here's a gothamist post about Milk and Honey.
Good luck.
http://gothamist.com/2008/10/17/milk..._goes_from.php
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 10:26 AM

There are a lot of lounges in the Flatiron/Murray Hill/Union Square/Gramercy/Chelsea area.
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Do any of you have any recommendations for hotel bars for us to go to in Lower East Side after dinner at Stanton Social? Looking for a really cool place to have drinks after dinner. Thanks!
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Go to The Back Room after Stanton Social ... it's a short walk and a great experience.

If for some reason you must go to a "hotel bar," then check out Thor in the Hotel on Rivington (restaurant & bar) or Gemma in the Bowery Hotel (also a bar/restaurant).

Old Dec 7th, 2008, 12:22 PM

Milk and Honey has gone member's only for the most part--awaiting official designation. You will not be able to get in unless you are a key-holder as the tables are, with the exception of 2 or 3 per evening, reserved for members. You can try Sasha's other bar that is walk in called White Star, it is on Essex just below Hester. It is tiny and can get crowded, drinks are good though.

You can dance at The Annex on Orchard Street @ Stanton. Mostly indie rock, 80s new wave. Crowd is younger-like early-mid 20s.

Bondi Road is really a restaurant, not a bar.

Orcgard, Ludlow, and Clinton Streets on the LES are littered with bars, I'd suggest barhopping after dinner at Stanton Social. You might want to try Lolita Bar on Broome @ Allen. I would avoid the Back Room, personally.

How old are you, what kind of music do you like, you want fancy cocktails or ok with just mixed drinks/wine, want a huge crowd or chill? Just asking so I can be more helpful. I live and drink in the neighborhood.

The entire block of
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Milk and Honey has gone member's only for the most part--awaiting official designation. You will not be able to get in unless you are a key-holder as the tables are, with the exception of 2 or 3 per evening, reserved for members. You can try Sasha's other bar that is walk in called White Star, it is on Essex just below Hester. It is tiny and can get crowded, drinks are good though.

You can dance at The Annex on Orchard Street @ Stanton. Mostly indie rock, 80s new wave. Crowd is younger-like early-mid 20s.

Bondi Road is really a restaurant, not a bar.

Orchard, Ludlow, and Clinton Streets on the LES are littered with bars, I'd suggest barhopping after dinner at Stanton Social. You might want to try Lolita Bar on Broome @ Allen. I would avoid the Back Room, personally.

How old are you, what kind of music do you like, you want fancy cocktails or ok with just mixed drinks/wine, want a huge crowd or chill? Just asking so I can be more helpful. I live and drink in the neighborhood.
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 12:24 PM

sorry double posted while trying to edit...
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 07:25 PM

For cocktails, try:
PDT (Crif Dogs)
Flatiron Lounge
Death and Co.
Pranna (uptown a bit but great drinks)
Old Dec 7th, 2008, 07:26 PM

And yes, I realize Flatiron Lounge is not on the LES but if time allows, it's always a solid bet.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

THX guys! Great ideas!

Cherrybomb- we are late 20s/early 30s. We like a crowded bar, we prefer 80s and/or hip hop for dancing, but we also like chill bars that have a good scene. I guess it will depend on what kind of mood we are in after dinner at Stanton Social!

I've heard about PDT..isn't it kind of like Milk and Honey was- you have to have "the number" to get in? Well, we've been given "the number" by a friend so we will see.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 06:09 PM

PDT is going to be VERY chill, it's a conversation bar, if you will. So don't go there expecting a scene of any kind. But in the LES, another cool cocktail place is Barrio Chino.

Fun 80's music is usually at the Belmont, but that's in Gramercy. Suba in the LES has flamenco dancing on some nights, so check out when that would be. The great thing about that area is that you can just wander in and out of bars and see what tickles your fancy. Jimmy's No 43 in the East Village is also a cool spot, that's more premium beers and has a Williamsburg-type vibe.
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 07:49 AM

If you do Barrio Chino, go after 12:30 or 1am. You will probably have a wait but you can just pop into Lolita and they will either come get you or call your cell when the table is ready. Lolita will have the crowd and music you are looking for. You can try The Box for dancing, it is bottle service if you want to sit and spend the money. Agreed--there is no scene at PDT or M&H, they are quiet cocktail bars. There is more of a scene at Little Branch, though that is across town and not worth the schlep from the LES. Pegu Club also has a scene and isn't too far--in Soho, though you will have a wait to get in and since you are already on the LES why why not just stay there. Freeman's Alley has a scene and good cocktails though go late---you will also just have to stand at the bar unless there is a free stool.

The Dark Room is a bit passed at the moment but will have a crowd. The Dressing Room can be fun and get a LES fashion crowd--half the bar is a clothing shop the other half a bar--you can shop and drink, they close at 2am though, it's not a loud bar. Marshall Stack can be nice--not upscale, but a neighborhood beer/wine bar, no hard alcohol, they have a good jukebox. Old school LES bar is Max Fish--it is a bit grotty, though Taylor Mead sits at the end of the bar often, if you have any Warhol Factory Days fetishism. Pianos is packed, has 2 floors, usually a band in the back room. I'd go to the upstairs bar there as there are couches.

bOb plays mostly hip hop, is tiny, and been there forever, Fontana's is a rock bar, both crowded. The Slipper Room sometimes has burlesque shows, I haven't been in forever, so not sure what the crowd is like now. Motor City is a coke den, hyper crowded, loud, rock/rockabilly/punk rock bar. Fat Baby and Verlaine are both scene bars, Verlaine being more of a cocktail bar.

Le Pere Pinard turns into a scene bar after dinner service--midnight or later as does Les Enfants (don't go to Les Enfants if you can't stand smoke)...

That's all I can think of at the moment that I'm willing to give up.

Feel free to ask any questions as to location/whatever.
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 07:51 AM

oh, and you don't need a number for PDT. You can walk in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -