COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Nicest resorts in Door County

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:17 PM
Lisa

Nicest resorts in Door County

What are the nicest resorts in Door County?

There are so many listed on the Chamber of Commerce page - and the internet pictures are just tough to discern.

We are looking for an upscale hotel. We are not interested in B&Bs, however. We would like as many amenities as possible (e.g., pools/playgrounds for kids, etc) but nice for us.

thanks, Lisa

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:56 PM
been there

Look up The Landmark. Timeshare condos, swimming pools, and just outside Egg Harbor.

Tip. If your bringing your children, ask someone the name of the resturant with the train on the counter. I can't remember the name of the place. It's halfway between Egg Harbor and the Lake Michigan side.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:27 PM
wisky

The 'train' restaurant is called Peninsula Junction at the intersection of Hwys. A and E (four miles east of Egg Harbor). Burgers...delivered around the counter by choo-choo, and some play area out back.

I know the decision-making process can seem overwhelming when faced with so many choices, but here's one word of reassurance: You can't really go wrong with any choice. Even the Mom 'n' Pop motels (a dwindling breed) are well-kept and pleasant.

We have friends who several times have brought their brood of three young boys up to the Newport Resort in Egg Harbor. Tho it's reasonably new, it's far from the "nicest" resort in the area (condo-style rooms are pretty ordinary). But it seemed a good solution for traveling with young ones...little patios with tables right outside each unit, a large indoor pool (maybe an outdoor one, too - i'm not sure). And playground and outdoor grill areas. It's located right in town, so you could walk a bit. The Landmark is a car-only sort of place.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:45 PM
funtimes

The train diner is great! I believe it's called PC JUNCTION. It's located on the intersections of HWY A and HWY E.
We think it's the neatest place! It totally takes you back into time. Our first visit I was mesmermized. The bartender was dressed in striped conductor overalls, the bar is made up of all old doors with a train track lined up all around and old train folksongs are played. When you order your food, the train delivers it! Our kids thought it was great. The food is very good too. Connected is an old general store. If the kids need a place to sit while waiting for a place at the bar there are oldtime schoolhouse desks. The outside of the place really doesn't show the charm of the inside, but upon reflection of the whole experience, it enhances the overall appeal. While walking into PC JUNCTION we were in awe of the chickens running all around. Being from the city, we aren't used to seeing such a sight. It really is charming. I strongly suggest a visit. We plan on revisiting this summer when my sister's family is home from California, I truely can't wait to see the look on her childrens faces.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Jane

I am a Door County native. Lived there all of my childhood and as an adult return there frequently. Our family has an older resort on the water in Egg Harbor called the Alpine. Over 40 cottages, a lodge, 27+ golf course, and beach and boating area. It isn't fancy but many like it because of it's old world charm. My grandpa came from Switzerland and built it. Check out some resorts you like and I will give you my thoughts on it. I know Door County better than any place on earth. I love it, too. I am also a travel consultant so if you want prices on any of the resorts I can do that for you, too. In June it is cool but less crowded. July and August you can go cherry-picking for fun and I can tell you lots of neat activities to do. It is our family tradition to go there at least 2-3 times a summer.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Laurie

Jane, any suggestions for a vacation with 2 adults and 2 boys ages 12 & 10? Want to go last week in August and stay somewhere with a pool and activities for the boys. Also hope to see a play at the Penn. State Park (?). Should we do the Washington Island tour or not? Any ideas would be great!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 11:33 AM
x

The state park play you mention is American Folklore Theater; they have a website. The kids would ikely get a kick out of the trip over on the ferry to Washington Island - esp if you pick a windy day. Not a whole lot to do on the island - a small llama zoo, a neat tower to climb with a fine view, and a funky little museum you shouldn't miss - but it's a nice daytrip. You could even take the other ferry (between WI and Rock Island) and hike about a mile or so to see the lighthouse.