Reload this Page >

Nicest and Roomiest suites - on the riverwalk, San Antonio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:38 PM
Suzzanne

I will be going to an education convention in San Antonio with several other teachers and we are looking to share a suite. The convention will be at the convention center near the Riverwalk. Which hotel on the riverwalk would you recommend? Which one has the nicest and roomiest suites?

Thanks

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 03:42 PM
Sonya

Topping since I'm interested, too.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 04:35 PM
HHHRRR

You may want to check out the Drury Inn & Suites. It is located at the more quiet end of Riverwalk but within walking distance of everything in the area. There is also a great steakhouse located in the hotel.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 05:37 PM
Suzzanne

Thanks, HHHRRR. Did you stay at the Drury? Are the rooms big? I went to a similar education conference in Chicago and shared a room with 2 otber teachers at the Westin. The hotel was beautiful but the rooms were tiny. We were crawling over the beds to get around the room.

Any other comments would be appreciated. I have heard good things about the Marriott Riverwalk. Any comments?

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 06:06 PM
Monique

I just got back from there last week. We stayed at The Hilton Palacio del Rio. It was a standard room with a river view. However I thought it was very spacious with a sink with outlet plugs both inside the bathroom and out. IE 2 sinks and places to do hair and makeup in addition to the desk and chair area. Great location in the heart of all the restaurants and bars. Great mellow entertainment at Durty Nellys and I would stay there again. Typical good Hilton service as well.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 03:51 AM
HHHRRR

Suzzanne - We actually stayed at another hotel but tried to move to the Drury Inn because the rooms were so much nicer. Unfortunately, the place was booked solid. There are two Marriotts at the Riverwalk but I don't have first hand knowledge of them. We did also look into the Hilton which was nice but rooms not larger than normal hotel rooms. The Hilton and Marriotts are located more in the busy central area of Riverwalk which we didn't really want to be in but that appeals to many. Don't know how long you will be there, but the trolley system offers a week long pass for less than $10 that allows you to get to most things around town that a tourist may be interested in. Rental cars are more a hassle than a help since parking is so limited in most areas. Have a great trip.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 05:43 AM
laurie

Did you inquire at La Quinta Suites? It is a San Antonio-based chain and the standard rooms are HUGE! The convention center location is a five minute walk to the convention center and is right next door to the Rivercenter mall which is an entrance to the Riverwalk.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 05:49 AM
mtsod

I would stay at the Westin. Tried the Hilton last year and wasn't thrilled with it. The rooms were dated and small. Lobby and common areas are nice, but rooms are poor.Most people report the Westin is now the nicest hotel on the river walk.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Suzzanne

Thanks everyone, especially HHHRRR for the very good advice.

I talked with the other teachers that will be going with me and we are beginning to narrow our choices down. But here is another question:

We are looking at the Homewood Suites. Since our convention is based at the Covention Center, this is only a couple of blocks away. Plus the are supposed to offer a free breakfast and free cocktails.

Any input on the Homewood Suites?

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 03:59 AM
HHHRRR

Haven't stayed at the one located in San Antonio but have used them elsewhere and the rooms were very nice. Might as well take advantage of free breakfsat and cocktails as long as the hotel fits your needs. Enjoy. We love San Antonio.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Suzzanne

Thank you so much HHHRRR! You have been extreamly kind and helpful!

If anyone else has any comments or info, please feel free to post

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 03:02 AM
HHHRRR

Suzzanne - You are welcome. Can't remember the name of it but there is a restaurant at the top of a tower that revolves that gives a commanding view of the area. The tower was originally constructed for the Worlds Fair I believe. Enjoy San Antonio, we certainly did.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 04:15 AM
janet

As a teacher, you may be a "state" employee, and can be considered for a government rate. I know that I was eligible for a gov't rate at the Westin (Had to cancel last minute) last year and a room was going to be about $89 a night. I also hear that is the best on the Riverwalk. I think their website even gives you the size of the rooms.

Have fun. And I also reccomend Durty Nelly's.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:53 AM
carol

hi suzzanne,

i live in san antonio and am hosting a group here in march so i went down and looked at several hotels on the river this week. i agree with the above poster who said the westin is the nicest hotel on the river. la mansion del rio has just been redone and is also very, very nice.

but the drury inn has suites that are a great deal. the regular rooms there are nothng special, but the suites that overlook the river are roomy and nice. the drury is on a good part of the river AND it does come with a big breakfast buffet.

another choice would be the recently renovated emily morgan hotel. they have some good deals on the internet and are right across from the alamo. i also saw their rooms and they are lovely.

the bottom line is if you are going to be sharing the room with more than one person, i'd go for the suite at the drury. if it's just 2 of you, find the best deal you can at the westin, mansion or emily morgan. westin and mansion are finer hotels than emily morgan but you might have to spend twice as much.

good luck and enjoy your stay here.

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody else have any recommendations? We will be in San Antonio during early November, with two children - ages four and six.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Either of the Marriotts would be fine (They are across from each other). Also the Westin.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 02:32 PM

We stayed at the Marriott Riverwalk, and I wasn't that impressed. Next time I will try the Westin.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 07:41 PM

Hi suzzanne,
am also attending a teacher's conference in San antonio (IRA???) and am looking at which hotels are closest to the Riverwalk and the convention center. Appreciated all the input you got.
How is the Radisson Marketplace? It seems to have some great rates, but it says it is a mile from the riverwalk. Anyone know anything?
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:36 AM
dcespedes

dwtoy--I personally wouldn't stay near the market place area-it is away from the hub bub of the River Walk, there's been a lot of construction in the area, and one recent early Saturday morning when I was downtown in the market place area I saw what I thought were people in line for ticket master, why else would so many people be lined up early in the morning, who is coming to town I wondered... turned out they were waiting for the probation office to open. There are so many choices downtown, closer to the River Walk, that I would stay focused there. A recent poster had good luck at AmeriSuites.

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 07:04 PM

I agree with Drury.Hotel personnel are just great. You won't be disappointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -