Niagara Falls, NY or ON?

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Niagara Falls, NY or ON?

My husband and I are planning a weekend getaway to the Falls in September. This will be our first trip to the area. We would like to spend some time on the US side and some in Canada, including going into Toronto for a day. Any recommendations, for accomodations (is one side better than the other?), transport to Toronto, as well as any suggestions of things to see in Toronto are much appreciated.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:17 PM
mma

Hi! We enjoyed staying on the Canadian side. We stayed at the Sheraton Fallsview but there are many choices. You might want to post this message on the Canada forum for helpful info about Toronto. We had our car so we drove to Toronto and stayed for a few days. Since we had two children with us who love sports, we visited the Skydome, saw a ballgame, saw the Hockey Hall of Fame, CN Tower, and visited a lovely home called Casa Loma. I really think you would get better advice from others than from me if you post on the other board. At the Falls, go on the Maid of the Mist. That was a great experience. Have a wonderful time!
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I cross-posted.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Absolutely stay on the Canadian side, but try to go over to the American side and view the falls from there also. On the American side go over on Goat Island where you can stand right next to the rapids before they go over the falls ... no guardrails! On the Canadian side, the Sheraton and Marriott are nice. Also, take a drive on the Canadian side north along the river gorge to Niagara-on-the-Lake - only about 20-25 minute drive. It's a quaint town with lots of character right where the river ends at Lake Ontario.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:13 PM

definatley the Canadian side. Unless your into looking at factories, I would stay on the canadian side. I don't want to sound like a complainer, but the U.S. side is just run-down inner city type of area.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:06 AM

Canadian side - definitely. I agree that if you have time take a side trip (less than 1/2 hour drive) to Niagara-on-the-Lake - beautiful town!

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:16 AM

Yep, Canadian side is the best! I took a one-day bus tour from Toronto to Niagara Falls and thoroughly enjoyed it. Check out the areas surrounding Niagara Falls for orchards, wineries, etc. You might even want to stay a night at a quaint B&B in Niagara-On-The-Lake. Our bus drove through this town and I fell in love with it, want to go back just to visit there.

In Toronto, there is a nice trolley tour you can take where you can get on and off at various locations. You might want to spend a couple days in this city because it is a great sightseeing location. It might be too much to pack into one day, but you can hit the highlights. I loved every moment I spent in Toronto. My hotel's air conditioning broke while I was there, so my actual hotel stay was so-so.

Enjoy your trip, it will be a beautiful time of year to visit.