NH to FLA Drive...

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NH to FLA Drive...

Im planning on driving to florida in a couple of weeks. i was wondering if anyone had any information on how much i would expect to pay in tolls, gas (i drive a 1.6L with 35mpg) and if its possible to do the drive straight thro no stopping with a copilot? any help would be great. thanks
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 10:46 AM

In my opinion, prioce of gas from state to state does not vary so much as to be an important consideration.

Sure it is possible to drive straight thru with a copilot - but not sure it is an especially good idea. There are many inexpensive hotels off Rte 95 once you get south of Richmond, VA.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:13 AM

I just drove from Florida to Boston earlier this week. I found gas prices lowest in the South and in New Jersey, where I was able to find gas as low as $1.93 per gallon, but at one station on Rt 95 in CT, it was $2.43 (others were $2.21 - 2.23!).

Whether or not you can drive straight through is a question of the drivers' stamina and their ability to sleep in the car -- something you two are better-equipped to answer than we are.

The tolls depend on what route you take; it is possible to avoid them almost entirely but that entails more mileage.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:18 AM

You might be able to get that info from the AAA. If you don't belong, become a member. It's well worth it. Most people I know drive from NYC to southern Fla. with 2 drivers and make at least 1 stop. From NH I'd guess you'd want to stop at least once if not more. Better to be safe than sorry. Websites like mapquest.com and http://google.maps.com/ will give you routes, est. time etc.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:38 PM

not sure about cost but using 95 from trenton area to jacksonville fla. driving fast but not crazy fast took 13 hours... it takes about i guess 5 hours to southern NH, so you are looking at at least 16 to 18 hours of driving....IF you are going from s. NH to N. fla....

There are cheap but ok hotels along 95 south of richmond, it might be a good idea to stop....
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 06:02 PM

First, determine whether you want to stay on mostly I-95/NJTP through NYC, Washington, Richmond; or take I-84/81/77. The latter is about 100 miles longer, but less traffic. However, more hills and may not be the best idea if there's wintry weather.

With two people driving, you can go to California (or even Argentina) without stopping. But the question is whether you really want/need to do that.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 06:05 PM

But if you decide to drive straight through, I'd leave in the evening so that you can get just take the shortest route on I-95 and go past Washington, DC before the morning rush.

You can get to most places in Florida before the next night and rest.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 09:06 PM

One can also avoid rush hours in Boston-NYC-Washington by leaving really early in AM. Advantage to that is both drivers have had a nhights sleep when you start. Guess it also depends on your perspective as a night person or day person.

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:20 AM

I've known many people who have driven from Ct. to Fl. without stopping to sleep on route. Yes they made it but were zombies until they got some proper rest. In other words they saved a day but had to spend a day getting adjusted.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:52 AM

We budget for tolls at about $25-30 each way leaving from Maine. We plan stops so as not to buy gas in CT where the price is considerably higher than MA or NJ.

We drove straight through alternating drivers until the time the driver was awakened by the rumble strip.

Now we always stop to sleep along the way!

Timing your departure to avoid rush hours as much as possible will definitely shorten your journey.

I second the recommendation for AAA.