Newbie to NC....any suggestions??

May 28th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Newbie to NC....any suggestions??

Will be staying in Chapel Hill the middle of June while my son is there at a camp. Any ideas of what we should see and do?
Also, which beaches are the closest?? Any suggestions would be wonderful!! Thanks!
May 28th, 2007, 01:32 PM

What are you interested in and how long are you here?

The closest beach is about 2 hours - straight shot down 40 to Wilmington and Wrightsville beach.
May 28th, 2007, 01:33 PM

If you like pottery spend a day (yes, all day) exploring the potteries at Seagrove, just outside Ashboro.
Lots of beaches to choose from due east.
May 28th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

We will be there for approx. 5 days. We're pretty easy to please. We like history, shopping, animals, just about anything. We will also have our 9 yr. old daughter with us...
May 29th, 2007, 03:06 AM

History-Old Salem in Winston-Salem about 1.5 hours from Chapel Hill, straight shot on I-40W.
Animals-The North Carolina Zoo is exceptional. Located in Asheboro it will be less than an hour drive for you from CH.
Shopping-The Shops at South Point a five or ten minute drive from Chapel Hill.
Welcome to North Carolina!
May 29th, 2007, 05:12 AM

In Chapel Hill, you have to go to A Southern Season. This is a food/cooking emporium with a wonderful selection. In nearby Carrboro, there is a wonderful Farmer's market with locally produced goods. Also visit the Weaver Street market.

On the UNC campus, take a stroll through the Coker Arboretum.

Old Salem is worth a visit for sure.

For parks, there is the Eno River State Park. Or follow this link http://www.chocvb.org/catalog.php?mo...licview&ref=58 for more options.

There are several wonderful restaurants in Chapel Hill, Durham and Carrboro. There's Crooks Corner for upscale Southern cuisine, Foster's Market for great sandwiches and salads. Loco Pops in Durham makes wonderful, Mexican paletas (frozen fruit bars).
May 30th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

We were just told about a really good BBQ place in CH that has a huge pig on the sign or in front of it.... does anyone know where this is? And is it worth the visit?
May 30th, 2007, 01:20 PM

That's Crooks Corner. We just got back from CH and ate there. It was great!
May 30th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Crooks Corner is not a classic BBQ place. But is an excellent and well known restauran--a bastion of southern cuisine having been started by Bill Neal, who may have been the originator of shrimp and grits.
May 30th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Go to the zoo, the zoo, the zoo! One of the best ... My granddaughter, also nine, has been for the last three years, and can't wait to go back this summer again!

For real Carolina BBQ, go to Allen & Son in Chapel Hill, a funky wonderful old place with EVERYTHING delicious, not just the BBQ.

Do go to Wrightsville Beach for the day, and have lunch at American Blue Water Grill. GREAT seafood ...

Have a wonderful time here in God's country!
May 30th, 2007, 03:02 PM

I also suggest you try Mama Dips
www.mamadips.com
May 30th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions! It was sooo much easier than searching online for hours!!
May 31st, 2007, 03:22 PM

Crook's Corner is the restaurant with the pig atop. I don't know why, but I just can't like the place. Try Allen & Son off of Highway 86 or Bullock's in Durham. Check first about Bullock's they often take a month off in the summer.

While in the area try to see the gardens at Duke and NCSU. I think someone already mentioned the Coker Arberitum on UNC campus and the NC Botanical Gardens also in Chapel Hill.

Zoo, pottery, beach, mountains are all nearby.